Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A bad trend

Have you noticed that comedians are no longer jesters, but rather enforcers of orthodoxy? We got a sense of that the other day:


Not sure who the creepy guy at the podium was with Silverman, but we'll leave that aside. The trend of comedians taking off the clown nose has gone on for a while now:


We used to have jesters who lampooned the silliness of the political class. Now our jesters want to tell us what to think. It's not a positive development. I prefer the earlier model:


This is a topic worth more time than I have this morning. I'll try to get back to it.

3 comments:

3john2 said...

From Will Rogers:

"The more you observe politics, the more you have to admit that each party is worse than the other."

"It isn't what we know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so."

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."

"I tell you, folks, all politics is applesauce."

Bike Bubba said...

"I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent's youth and inexperience."

"Please tell me you're all Republicans."

Think I've noted this before, but it strikes me that the feather got replaced by a sledgehammer about 20-30 years back. Political comedy just followed suit....

3john2 said...

Maybe Hillary will want to update another one from Reagan and announce, "I've just signed legislation outlawing Russia. We begin bombing in five minutes."

Or "We begin leaking emails in five minutes."