Friday, March 15, 2019

Horror in Christchurch

We don't talk about New Zealand much in this feature, but we must today. An Australian man, who apparently had accomplices, decided to shoot up a mosque in Christchurch:

Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 wounded in shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison described one alleged gunman, who had Australian citizenship, as an "extremist, right-wing" terrorist.

A man in his late twenties was charged with murder and will appear in court on Saturday morning, police confirmed.

Two other men and one woman were detained nearby and firearms seized, Police Commissioner Mike Bush said.

He said police had determined that one of the people detained was not involved in the incident, and officers were working to understand if the other two were connected.

The shooting was the deadliest in the country's history.
The Daily Mail isn't the most reliable source of news around, but no one does a better job of gathering images, and the images are awful:

Names of other terrorists written on the weapon
You can see images of the gunman's bizarre manifesto at the link; I'll not post them here. We will learn more about this atrocity, and the people who committed it, in the coming days. At this point all I can say is this -- killing people indiscriminately in their place of worship is the mark of cowardice.


W.B. Picklesworth said...

I'm expecting many conclusions to be drawn which bear on life in America. Almost the entirety of these conclusions will be partisan and therefore nonsense.

One that is not: the murder of innocents must be abhorred as a matter of simple humanity.

Gino said...

One that is not: the murder of innocents must be abhorred as a matter of simple humanity.

something 95% of Muslims, and their Imams, across the world believe... and might say more voceriferously... but cannot... out of fear of the other 5%.

there will be efforts made to blame White Christian Hate (as if there is no other kind) for this, but i will not buy in.
a simple comparison of body counts will suffice that Islam has this problem, and only Islam can sort it out.

Islam (and Muslims) is viewed as a threat in western-based cultures.
Why is that?

Nobody out looking to blow up Hindu and Budhist churches, are there?... (well, the ones located in muslim areas maybe)

Bike Bubba said...

Worth noting is that strict gun laws in New Zealand couldn't prevent a resident of Australia, one island nation, from obtaining weapons banned in Australia and using them in another island nation, New Zealand. It will be interesting to see how the Democrats argue around that reality in endorsing New Zealand style gun laws.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

BB, being a Democrat means never having to argue around that reality. They'll just ignore it. Fairy Dust!

Bike Bubba said...

It'll work here because unicorn farts!