Friday, May 17, 2019

Still alive

A few quick updates and ruminations from the blogger:

  • Things are picking up on the job search a bit -- I feel confident I will be back in the saddle soon. More as I know more.
  • We were back in St. Louis earlier in the week to bring Fearless Maria back for the summer. We would definitely like to have the state of Iowa physically removed from the trip. It's 566 miles each way from our house to the campus. That's a lot of driving.
  • Politics continue to meander, but I sense AG Barr is starting to frighten the correct people. That's an encouraging sign. Let's see if they do anything more than identify the miscreants. If Roger Stone gets a no-knock nighttime raid, James Comey really ought to have one, too.
  • Or better yet, let's get rid of no-knock nighttime raids altogether, please? This Gestapo stuff really needs to end.
  • As expected, the citizenry of Minnesota and Wisconsin both have big-time buyer's remorse concerning their respective governors. It's worth remembering; even if you don't like Bad Orange Man, he's not likely to do much more than irritate your sensibilities. Democrats like to take your things.
  • Fear the Deer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Was worried about you. Glad things are starting to look positive. Continued prayers...

3john2 said...

I've been making the Twin Cities to St. Louis (and beyond) drive for almost 40 years now. Iowa is problematic, but it does happen to host half of my offspring and all of my grandchildren. Small comfort, but when I first started making this drive, it was a solid 12 hours. Now I can do it in nine and a half if I push it, or 10. In winter, all bets are off, though.

Mr. D said...

I've been making the Twin Cities to St. Louis (and beyond) drive for almost 40 years now. Iowa is problematic, but it does happen to host half of my offspring and all of my grandchildren. Small comfort, but when I first started making this drive, it was a solid 12 hours. Now I can do it in nine and a half if I push it, or 10. In winter, all bets are off, though.

We've been getting it done in about 10, factoring in a lunch stop and a stop for gas. Usually stop for lunch in Iowa City and gas in Mount Pleasant or Hannibal. Once you get to Missouri, the scenery improves pretty significantly. The stretch between Iowa City and the Missouri border is especially boring. And I agree -- if it's winter, it can be a whole lot worse.