Thursday, November 14, 2019

Standard setting

Mike Quigley, a congressman from Illinois, said this:
"I think the American public needs to be reminded that countless people have been convicted on hearsay because the courts have routinely allowed and created needed exceptions to hearsay," Quigley, a Democrat from Illinois, said to close his questioning of Kent and Taylor. "Hearsay can be much better evidence than direct, as we have learned in painful instances and it's certainly valid in this instance."
I was told Mike Quigley enjoys sex with barnyard animals. It's hearsay, but do you have better evidence it's not true?

3 comments:

John said...

Sadly, the idea we are a nation of laws and not run by a mob is going the way of the Edsel. I commented on a high school classmate's Facebook post where she was celebrating the fact a therapy dog was sworn in as an "officer of the court" in Florida. I knew it was foolish, but I pointed out the idea of swearing in a dog was demeaning to the humans who really made up the judicial system.

Her response was I missed the point, She pointed out "She's an official Officer of the Court. Legally representing the rights, and emotional health of trauma victims." I told her I didn't think I had and wished her luck when the Black Lab represented her on her next court case. Her friends confirmed I missed the point while explaining exactly what I had said, the best the dog could do was comfort the traumatized individual. But I see a day in the not too distant future where the standards for American Bar will reach a point where dogs can meet the requirements.

jerrye92002 said...

So, I want the NAME(s) of these "barnyard animals"! And direct testimony under cross-examination!

3john2 said...

I was told Mike Quigley enjoys sex with barnyard animals. It's hearsay, but do you have better evidence it's not true?

In the words of Lyndon Johnson, "I don't care if it's true; I just want to hear the bastard deny it."