Friday, December 15, 2023

Benster and D Pick Your Games -- Vikings May Blow It Up Edition

 No, that title isn't inflammatory at all. The Vikings have some big decisions to make involving Kirko and JJ, and quite honestly, their management might want to blow it up. This game against the Bengals is going to go a long way toward answering that question.

Two teams without a quarterback. Two teams that expected better. Two teams that are glad not to be the Chargers.

All true, Geritol Fan! I am feeling the HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPEEEEE! and ready to pick some games. Watch me work.

Minnesota Vikings (+3) vs. Cincinnati Bungles So it turns out that the Vikings dodged a bullet last week, where despite playing horrifically awful football, the Raiders somehow made Josh Dobbs and the Vikings offense look like the Greatest Show on Turf at their peak. The Bengals are without Joe Burrow, and are still in playoff contention. To expand on why I think that the Vikings are going to blow it up, consider that Kirko has won 1 playoff game with the Vikings. I'm also going to note that the Vikings have only appeared in one playoff game with JJ, and lost that playoff game. In JJ's case, consider that the other key pieces of the 2019 LSU national title team besides JJ have all gotten to the Super Bowl at a minimum, including Chase, Burrow,  and Edwards-Helaire as of this point. Now, you can call me biased because I am a huge fan of a division rival, but those are objective facts. The Vikings already began the shedding of veteran contracts, and the front office has gotten to see what this team looks like without Kirko and JJ sadly because of injuries. The Vikings need this one badly, and Nick Mullens looked good in relief, and should play well enough to win. Vikings 24, Bengals 7.

Those may be facts, but they may not be relevant. As for this game, I'd suggest paying attention to Vegas. I think the Vikings will make it interesting, but I don't see them prevailing. Bengals 24, Vikings 21.

Tampa Bay Bucs (+3.5) vs. Glorious Green Bay Packers The last time that the Bucs came up to Green Bay, it was one of the worst playoff losses I have seen the Packers take. Thankfully, Gisele's ex is nowhere to be seen. What frustrated me about the Packers on Monday was that while the defensive coaches screwed up the coverage, it never should have come to that. The offense and special teams left a bunch of points out there, and when you lose by 2 that means that you can't blame the defense. The Packers and the Bucs both need this one for playoff status, and the Packers need to finish drives and play a lot better. I am going with the ever popular Desperate Team at Home Theory combined with the fact that I am a homer and make no secret about who my favorite NFL team is. Packers 31, Bucs 14.

It's who you are. It's what you do. Baker Mayfield is okay, Mike Evans remains dangerous, but other than that I'm not sure where the points come from. Bucs can play defense, but this is not the same team that showed up in Green Bay a few years ago. I was actually hoping for something like this, but El Nino is not cooperating.

The worst day of Steve Young's life

Packers 23, Bucs 16.

No rant this week!

Really?

I'm all about the Christmas spirit, old dude! Enjoy your football this weekend, and may the Premier League give Everton our 10 points back. Ben out. 

No comments: