It's like that. It is designed to break your heart and then pull you back.
That is the dynamic. No question. Have I changed my mind on Fickell? Eh, I don't know.
It's gonna take more than that, Seabiscuit.
Yes. Yes it will. Also, while I am a Twins fan, I think I speak for both of us when I say Go Brewers this weekend and into next weekend. I like their chances against the Padres.
Always a seat on the Brewers bandwagon for you, good sir.
I am feeling the HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! and ready to pick some games. Watch me work.
Michigan Hail To the Victors (-5.5) vs. Minnesota Golden Elite Rowers of the Boat This line is ridiculous, and whomever set this doesn't know ball. I will say this right now, Michigan is the second biggest fraud team in America. They were lucky to beat Western Michigan, they beat the biggest fraud team in America in Chokelahoma, they struggled with UTEP, and they lost to Iowa at the gun. I like Kyle Whittingham, but facts are facts. The Gophers played very well in Seattle, and honestly PJ might have his best team since 2019. I am dead serious that this team might be better than the 2019 Gophers. While the Gophers haven't won a home game against Michigan since Tony Dungy was at the U, this Michigan team is very ripe to lose, and lose by a lot. Do not be be surprised if the Gophers win comfortably. Row Row Your Boat Elitely 42, Michigan Clock Operators 0 and 1 second.
Do you remember the old game show Beat the Clock?
That explains a lot about your childhood, Old Dude.
Well, it was a collection of weird contrived games. And that is the specialty of the house in this one. I do tend to agree with your assessment of Michigan being essentially fraudulent, but it's always worth remembering that the Gophers have a carnival barker of the first order in ol' Peej. It's about time for the jug to spend some time in Minneapolis, though. Minnesota 24, Michigan 21.
Michigan State Sparty the Spartan (+9.5) vs. Beloved Wisconsin Badgers That was the best win the Badgers have had since the 2019 Axe game, bar none. By all rights, the Badgers should have lost that game. When you turn the ball over more times, get outgained, struggle for large stretches, and are down 17-0 to a top 15 team on the road in Happy Valley, it should have been curtains. But for as much as I have been critical of Luke Fickell, he finally got a signature win. I still think he needs to win 8-9 games and win at least one of our rivalry games, but I'd be a fool to not acknowledge that there is some optimism. The problem is that the Badgers are facing Pat Fitzgerald. You may remember when he was with Northwestern, Fitzgerald gave the Badgers fits for years by turing the game into a rock fight and pulling out wins. It is the reason why I consider Ryan Field to be cursed ground, and this is why the Purple Nerds frustrate me to this day. The danger the Badgers have is that this Sparty team isn't great, but they have a great coach. This game will be stressful and anyone who says anything differently is ignoring that history. Badgers 16, Sparty 15.
I don't think Sparty is that good right now, but Fitzgerald will turn it around. This game is a good measuring stick for two programs that should be better than they've been in recent years. Home field and a better defense carries the day in Madison. Wisconsin 20, Michigan State 16.
Minnesota Vikings (-10.5) vs. Miami Tuna Net Victims Well, the Vikings approved homers on KFAN are already planning the Super Bowl parade and are thrilled at the 3-0 start. But there are some dangerous trends and things that a critical eye needs to be cast on, and thankfully I am the right skeptic to point them out. Yes, the Vikings are 3-0. But they have had to rely on 4th quarter Matt LaFleur, the Bears offense self destructing, and the Bucs not doing much on offense to be 3-0. As much as Flores is getting credit for the blitz, he is blitzing at 70 percent. That tells me that Flores might have to do it because he can't get pressure with 4. Also, the Vikings have been getting outgained and will be without Justin Jefferson. And keep in mind that the Dolphins have old friend Jeff Hafley, who knows the Vikings well. My challenge for the Vikings is to show that they can win without blitzing, because the NFL will adjust to that eventually. If Miami is smart, they will run screens, misdirections, and other stuff to force Flores to adjust. This is your classic Vikings Gonna Vikings game waiting to happen. But hey, my team has bigger problems. Dolphins 24, Vikings 10.
My guess - Flores won't stop blitzing until someone stops him from blitzing. The Dolphins aren't going to be that team. Even without JJ, Vikings roll. Minnesota 31, Miami 13.
Glorious Green Bay Packers (-3.5) vs. Tampa Bay Bucs First, we have an obvious theme song here.
No Jack Sparrow isn't playing. Packers, Packers, Packers. Had I not done a separate post last week for the Thursday night game, you would have seen me drop about a 10 paragraph rant that would have made the FCC blush. But thankfully for you, the Badgers put me in a good mood to spare you the Very Special Comment.
Well, isn't that special?
Ahem. I am still really disappointed in that effort, and the boos at Lambeau were deserved. Packers fans rarely boo, but that pathetic effort led me to quit watching and rage post on social media. As a peak behind the curtain, those are the signs of me being angry. The Packers did the right thing bringing in new offensive linemen, but those guys were available for a reason. The Bucs didn't impress me last week, and obviously Baker Mayfield hurting his thumb means that they have to rely on a rookie making his first start. This game is also dangerous because the Packers tend to struggle in games early in the season in Florida, and because of the NFL's odd scheduling I will have to make alternate plans to watch this game. I really hope the Packers can have a nice easy win, because if this is another bad loss, I hope that LaFleur gets left behind with Gutey and I will be bringing a Very Special Comment. Do not make me do that, Packers. Thankfully, I think that they will avoid that fate. Because I am a delusional homer. Packers 24, Port Royal 14.
Sometimes I enjoy your rants, but I'll admit I'd rather not have the Packers give you reason for ranting. Old dudes like me remember a sportswriter named Pete Axthelm, who used to refer to the Green Bay/Tampa Bay game as the "Bay of Pigs." That used to offend me back in the day, but he wasn't wrong. And I think this game is going to be ugly. It was an absolute admission of failure and a definite panic move to bring in Messrs. Zeitler, Becton and Tomlinson, but what choice did the Packers have? The offensive line is the worst I've ever seen in Green Bay and the current guys were going to get Jordan Love killed. I would not be surprised if Zeitler sees the field on Sunday and if the other guys get some snaps as well. There's no reason to believe Tampa's quarterback will reach a level more competent than, say, Max Brosmer, so that means a low-scoring, sloppy game. Green Bay 9, Tampa Bay 6.
Enjoy your football this weekend, and go Brewers. Ben out.
No comments:
Post a Comment