Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Debate Is Over, the People Have Spoken, So Shut Up and Do What We Tell You (In a Non-Binding Way, Of Course)

I really feel like an outlier these days. I find myself on the wrong side of so many Settled Issues that I really am beginning to wonder what the hell is wrong with me. Apparently, at some point, the following things became absolutely bullet-proof and unassailable:

Global Warming is Man Made, Real, and Happening Right Now and We’re Doomed Unless We Drive Priuses and Use Compact Fluorescent Bulbs in Every Possible Orifice, Including Our Mouths If Necessary

The War in Iraq is Unwinnable and If We Really Supported the Troops, We’d Be Calling For an Immediate Phased Withdrawal, Or Something Like That, and It Is a Moral Imperative to Support a Non-Binding Resolution That Affirms This Home Truth

49,000 People Die of Second-Hand Smoke Every Year, Even Though No One Can Name Even Five People Who Did, Unless We Count Some Guy Who Hung Out in a Bar And Also Ate Four Bratwursts a Day, and That’s Just for Breakfast

I’m really wondering – when did all these things get settled? I thought I was paying attention, but clearly I must have missed a memo or something….

No comments: