Friday, February 03, 2012

Benster and D Pick Your Game -- There's Only One Left Edition

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. First, we need to do a bit of housekeeping. I noticed that my 2nd cousin Dan, who often comments on the blog, was mad at me for not picking the Pro Bowl.

He did mention something about that, yes.


Well, while I don't want to start a family feud with my own kin, I need to explain something to our beloved cousin. I don't pick fake games! This is also why we never pick Iowa State games, or Lawrence University games, in this venue. Well, we might pick Lawrence if they play Beloit, but we'd prefer to avoid that.

What do you have against Iowa State?


Nothing, although I've noticed that Dan is a Cyclone fan so we need to give him a little grief, like we do to Gino. But now we have to turn our attention away from cheap shots and instead consider the football game in Indianapolis. So I heard that it was the New York Football Giants playing the New England Patriots. So many ways to approach this. But I have the best way, the way of the Benster. Watch me work!

New York Giants (+3) vs. New England Patriots, at Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana. Did someone say Indiana? Well, time to break out R. Dean Taylor!
Oh, how can you refuse it? Lord, I can't go back there. Of course I've not spent a lot of time in Indiana, but that doesn't stop me from knowing how to pick this game. This New England team has an amazing offense, but also has a terrible defense. I don't know if you've noticed this, but they are so short on defense that they've been running out a wide receiver named Julian Edelman as a nickel back. Edelman is a poor man's Wes Welker and might be able to contribute on offense, but do you think he'll be able to cover Hakeem Nicks? Or Victor Cruz? Heck, I'm not sure he could cover Pablo Cruise. The old dude told me to stick that one in there -- I don't usually listen to lame stuff like that. But anyway, back to my brilliant commentary. If Rob Gronkowski can't go full speed, the Patriots are going to have problems. Welker is a great player, but he can't do it by himself. Tom Brady is still awfully good, but it looked to me like he was a step slow against the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. And the Giants get after quarterbacks. Giants 27, Pats 10.


All of those points are spot-on. But it's funny -- everyone I've seen has been picking the Giants, yet the wise guys in Vegas still are giving the Giants 3 points. What do they know that we don't? I think what they know is that the Patriots have two things going for them. First, this is probably the last, best chance this particular team has to get the glory, since Brady is getting up there in age. Second, Bill Belichick is pretty good when he has an extra week to gameplan an opponent. I'm not confident in this pick, but I think Brady gets one more ring. Patriots 31, Giants 24.


Well, that's it for this season. It's been a fun season, although I'm not sure why, all of a sudden, this post has been filled with bad 70s soft rock. I mean, we don't like this stuff very much at all. By the way, don't click on any of those links that the old dude polluted my comments with. He's a very mean old man. Seriously, I beg of you, don't click on those links. Or this one. It's like listening to Lite FM and you really, really don't want to do that. Ben out!

3 comments:

CousinDan 54915 said...

Rock Chalk Chickenhawk

Gino said...

part of me says belichek and brady will win this grudge match, because they are belichek and brady.

the other part of me says the Giants will win it again because they could.
and eli wants to one up his brother.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I think the Giants will win and that just irritates me. Obviously this is because they beat the Packers. But it's also because Tom Coughlin cost me my fantasy football league title by benching Ahmad Bradshaw for a half and then pulling him to give Brandon Jacobs a td. It also bugs me that Coughlin called a timeout to ice a kicker (and it actually worked.) These are all petty things perhaps, but I just know that if I watch this game and the Giants pull it out I'll go to bed irrationally irritated. Go Pats!