Saturday, July 12, 2014

Sitting here in Queens/Eating refried beans

Tommy Ramone died yesterday; he was the last of the original members of the Ramones. I don't want to overrate the Ramones, but they were a hell of a lot of fun and they had their moments. Here are two from their 1977 release, "Rocket to Russia":


I really didn't discover the Ramones until I got to college in 1981, but in retrospect it's easy to understand why they must have been a breath of fresh air for the lucky folks who did get to hear them. We got a diet of this stuff when I was growing up:


Although I didn't hear this song until later, the Ramones wanted something different:


The 70s were a strange time -- here's a video from network television of the era that, ahem, speaks for itself:


And let's not forget this event, which happened 35 years ago today:



I missed the Disco Demolition because I was still in Guatemala as a high school exchange student at that point. You could argue that the 70s ended that night, though. You certainly didn't hear much disco after that day.

2 comments:

Gino said...

i got ramoned soon after entering high school a year behind you. what was cool about them was the same thing that had me listening to parliament in jr high: it was fun.

fun is what made the ramones different. they werent claiming a higher purpose or social commentary behind songs like 'i wanna sniff some glue', or claiming any kind of purpose at all. it was fun/funny and danceable.

Mr. D said...

That's exactly it, Gino. And your comparison with Parliament is spot on.