Saturday, December 12, 2015

Ten Years of Blogging

Things can change substantially in 10 years. Amazingly enough, I am still blogging and somehow, after over 4,800 posts, here we are.

It all started as a bit of a lark. I missed the heyday of this ephemeral genre, which was really around the time of the 2004 presidential election. That was the time when bloggers like the guys at PowerLine could actually lead the charge to stop the corruption of the mainstream media. I got in the game at least a year too late to join in that fun. Can't say that I missed it, though.

When I set up the blog, I was in the middle of my lunch hour at Bank of America in Bloomington, Minnesota. That same lunch hour, two of my colleagues also started blogs. Those blogs are probably still out there someplace, in the vast expanse of the World Wide Web, but they went moribund a long time ago. I never would have guessed that this blog would still exist a decade later.

At the time, my family faced a dilemma. My job was moving to Portland, Oregon, and I had to decide whether I wanted to go there, or remain in the Twin Cities and find something different. As it happened, I decided to stay here and blogging became a way to cope with what became a frustrating job search.

For the first 18 to 24 months of this enterprise, I did not seek an audience. As I learned more about blogging, I decided that I could get into the game and reach a wider audience. I joined the MOB (Minnesota Organization of Bloggers, now also moribund) and did reach a wider audience, but I never pursued one with a concerted effort. Although I have had some posts that had over a thousand page views, the audience for this feature has rarely gone much beyond a few hundred readers. Many of my friends, and nearly all of my coworkers, are not even aware that I have a blog. In some respects, this is a secret enterprise that is hiding in plain sight. And that's okay.

The point of blogging, as I have learned, isn't necessarily to make a name for myself, or to become a recognized authority in politics, or sports, or music, or any of the other topics we have covered here over the past 10 years. It sure the heck isn't to make money. The point of this enterprise, the one thing that has really mattered the most, is that it has led to some wonderful friendships that would not have been possible otherwise. I have met great people and had remarkable experiences.

The example I used, very early on, was to compare blogging to dropping a penny into a well. The idea is to listen for a splash. We've dropped a lot of pennies over the years. We've also heard more than a few splashes. As the old song says, you don't miss your water until the well runs dry. I think we have a good well here. Thank you all for drawing from it.

13 comments:

Gino said...

blogging has been one of the most rewarding things i've ever done (not counting fatherhood).
i was active on message boards, which went moribund around the same time blogs started to happen.
RW (who i knew since around y2k from message boards) explained the blog thing to me... and eventually i ended up contributing at his place for a bit, meeting a several few other blogs along the way...

then one day he suggested that i was ready to strike out on my own...hem and hawed a tad... all these others bloggers are so much smarter than me... ya know... i'll look like a fool...i'm not educated... i can't write anymore ...

'no, you'll be fine, lots of idiots stupider than you, and they are doing it, and you are NOT an idiot'...
after some more prodding on his part, i took the plunge.
plunges, actually.
RW says to me: yer trying too hard.
i take that to mean: 'just be'.

what i was seeking: interaction and dialogue (and by extension, personal growth) with others who were not just like me, and i can say that i mostly got some of it.

some of my contacts that became regulars at my page were a result of people i once shared space with at RWs place. so, i owe a lot to his tolerance of me... not to mention their own acceptance of my shortcomings.

at times, i wish i could dial shit back to 2007-09... when blogs were still going on.

i made some awesome friends. real, true friends (not aquaintances) in this time.
my life is better because of it.

Mr. D said...

i made some awesome friends. real, true friends (not aquaintances) in this time.
my life is better because of it.


Amen, brother.

First Ringer said...

Always enjoyed your insights and musings. One of my first reads, everyday. Congrats on the anniversary!

Chuckwagon Boy said...

Mr. D, your writing is always a joy to read and I am glad you decided to do a blog. I will admit I do not read it every day and if I do many times I do not comment, but I appreciate your voice and wisdom very much. Thank you for the gift you have given your readers!

W.B. Picklesworth said...

It's astounding to think it's been this long. I've enjoyed the ride. And I've been here day in day out for most of it.

Gino said...

WB: aaaand.... you found a wife to create a bushel of kidlings with. i found this page because i found yours first... not sure how i found yours, though.

and i owe it to you that i discovered a reason to see that MN wasnt just a place on the map that i would never see. still wanting to get back there, too.

Mr. D said...

CB, thank you. I would wager that you've been reading since the beginning and I appreciate it.

Thank you as well, FR! The work you've been doing at Mitch's place has been a continuing re-education for me. History matters a lot and you and Mitch do a great service.

WBP, thank you for your support and the positive example you provide in so many ways.

Brian said...

Congratulations!

I can't say I miss blogging on the regular, though I'm certainly glad I did it for a while. I'm impressed by anyone that manages to keep at it old school (daily posting, actual content, no ads) and do so consistently and well.

3john2 said...

10 years? Time for a new pair of pajamas, eh wot?

I think Picklesworth directed me here initially, back when blogging was still like seeing Star Wars for the first time. Now this place and SiTD are the only ones I visit daily, both for content and community. Congratulations on staying the course!

It was easier than I thought it would be to get started, and to walk away, too. Now that I'm back for an interval I'm thinking about the possibility of continuing, even though the landscape is now more like something from Fallout 4.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

There was a time when I was really reaching out to meet new people and find kindred thinkers. I remember finding Mr. D on some list, perhaps of Minnesota blogs? But I started visiting and encouraged him to get into the MOB. It took a little while, but I'm so glad he did.

Gino, I wonder if I didn't run across you the same way. Or perhaps it was on one of those gigantic blog lists that used to exist? Yes, it was a pretty exciting time.

One of the things I'm so glad about is that I had all kinds of blogger friends at my wedding: my groomsmen, the official blogger (Mr. D), my father-in-law, and others to boot.

Gino said...

Actually, i found you through little ciceros blog.

Mr. D said...

Thank you, Brian! I really enjoyed your blog back in the day and I really appreciate your insights.

R.A., thank you so much. I've learned a lot about blogging from you and I've really been enjoying the dispatches from your current location.

WBP, thank you for your support and encouragement back in the day. We've come a long way from those early days.

Little Cicero -- wow, there's a blast from the past. Whatever happened to that guy?

Gino said...

Much has happened to LC...