Tuesday, September 05, 2006

How dare you compare us to Neville Chamberlain/That is an umbrella in my hand and I am happy to see you

Ooh, did Rummy ruffle a few feathers last week. Apparently, it's just not nice to mention the similarities between the Democratic Party's apparent stance on the international scene and the stance of Neville Chamberlain, history's most infamous negotiator/appeaser. I've counted at least twenty calls for Donald Rumsfeld to resign this week, and that's just in the letters to the editor section of the Star Tribune. "I was appalled...." "I am outraged...." "Who in the hell does Donald Rumsfeld think he is...." "We're not appeasing fascists! Rummy is a fascist!" & etc.

Apparently the thought was that the Republicans were just going to acknowledge the Democrats' talking points and not defend their actions. This is the old "shut up, he explained" school of argumentation, whereby anything I say is fair and any criticism of me is out of bounds. Nice work if you can get it, but you can't get it for long. So now it's on. Good thing, too.

No comments: