Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I am snark, hear me roar

Item: Brian Williams is extraordinarily polite in his interview with Mahmoud Ahmedinejad.
No surprise there. If you want to prove your journalistic chops, you bash around George W. Bush. I think what's most striking about the MSM is not that it's in the tank for the Democrats, but rather how cowardly it is. This was a perfect example - there were dozens of questions that Williams could have asked, but instead he went all Oprah. Sheesh.

Item: Hugo Chavez calls W. "the Devil" at the UN.
That is what you call playing to the audience. Hugo will probably get a guest shot on the Huffington Post now. And he may even start appearing on t-shirts like his hero Che.

Item: Twins within 1/2 game of Tigers.
It may all end badly on the turf of Yankee Stadium, but this is fun. Best pennant race I've seen since my beloved Brewers held off the Orioles in 1982.

Item: Oil prices drop $2 yesterday; floor not yet in sight.
There was at least $25-30/barrel of pure speculation in the prices this year; supply being what it is, the price should really be about $45-50/barrel. That would translate into gas prices back below $2, and soon. Remember, "Peak Oil" was first predicted in about 1911. Meanwhile, I hope Hugo Chavez enjoys the new oil prices as much as I am.

Editor's Note: I am working on a longer post about the debate over Pope Benedict's remarks at the University of Regensburg. This is a topic that merits a full-fledged essay, because there's more to Benedict's challenge than simply the gauntlet tossed at the feet of Islam. And what does Peggy Lee have to do with all this? I'll let you know, soon.

No comments: