Thursday, October 01, 2009

Guilty Pleasures Part Fifty-Five -- The Beloit Blues


Fearless Maria reminded me that it's been a while since we did a Guilty Pleasures. So she's here to offer her wisdom regarding music. What should we talk about today, Maria?


Dad, we're going to Beloit tomorrow, right?


Yes, it's time for another visit to the old alma mater.


Well why don't we write about Beloit and Wisconsin, obviously! They have music there, don't they?


Actually rather a lot, Maria. Beloit College always hosts a music festival each year called Folk and Blues. They invite a bunch of bands to play. Some you may even have heard of.


That's a nice change. So, what's up first, Mr. D for Dad? I won't say D for Decrepit, because that's Ben's copyright.


And I'm not that decrepit anyway. Let's start out with some blues artists. The first selection tonight is a performance of two guys I saw up close in 1983. It was a rainy night and they had to move the festival indoors.


What, did they do it in the cafeteria, so that if the show wasn't good you could throw bad smelly food at them? Maybe the cooks could cook up some nasty cabbage or something.


I wouldn't have put it past the cooks in those days, Maria. But no, the festival actually took place in the college chapel.


Dad, Ben says that's not religious! Which is saying something, considering how Ben feels about church!


True, but the music was pretty righteous in its own way. Here are two of the most crucial Chicago bluesmen around, Junior Wells and Buddy Guy, performing:




Dad! Help! Somebody's messing with me!


Not again, Maria. Well, enough messing around. What did you think of that one?


I really like the guitar and the harmonica trick was cool. But you know what wasn't so cool?


No Maria, what would that be?


Have you gone blind, Dad? Those suits! It looked like Junior Wells had more rivets on his suit than the 35W bridge!


Yeah, it's a good thing that was filmed back in 1978, otherwise he'd have had trouble getting through the airport in that getup.


So were there any other famous bluesmen who came through Beloit, Dad?


Yes. One of the giants appeared in 1980. He was one of the key guys in Chicago and wrote a lot of songs that were famous for other people, including Cream, the Doors, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and a lot of other big rock bands. His name is Willie Dixon, and here he is performing a song that was a hit for Johnny Rivers, of all people.




It's a great song, but what's up with the pink sport coat, Dad? If Willie Dixon wrote all those great songs, don't you think he could afford something that doesn't make him look like a snow cone? We should call him Pinky Dixon!


I don't think that would work so well, Maria.


Okay, but I have a question. Were there any girls who sing blues who came to Beloit?


As a matter of fact, there was the Queen of the Blues, Koko Taylor.


Wait, I thought Aretha Franklin was the Queen of Soul?


Yes, but Koko Taylor was always called the Queen of the Blues. And if you want to know why, check out this performance of yet another Willie Dixon song, from about 1967. Way back.




So Dad, what the heck is a "wang dang doodle" anyway? It doesn't have anything to do with these guys, does it?


No, I think we're safe to say that Wang Dang Doodle has nothing to do with Wang Chung. If I'm understanding it correctly, a Wang Dang Doodle is some sort of a party or something. If you listen to the words, Koko is suggesting that we tell all sorts of people about it. The problem is, most of the people seem to have knives.


Maybe she forgot to bring knives and just had forks and spoons!


Okay, we'll go with that explanation.


But Dad, here's the thing. All those people weren't from Beloit, right?


That's true, Maria. They were from other places, mostly Chicago.


Aren't there any bands from around Beloit that sold any records?


As a matter of fact, I can think of two. The first are these folks, who were based in Madison and had a big run of success in the 1990s. In honor of the dismal weather forecast for this weekend, let's break out the Garbage:




P. U.! Did you wash your socks, Dad?


I always wash my socks, Maria.


I'm just kidding, Dad. Did you see that singer, Shirley Manson? She had on about a pound of eye shadow and she was almost like Sleeping Beauty, with a dress that goes from pink to blue! And her friends in the band seem to like to make a lot of garbage, so is that why they call themselves Garbage?


I hadn't thought of that, Maria. Good theory, though, and I'll go with it!


So is that the only band from around Beloit, Dad?


No, there's one other band from nearby Rockford, Illinois, which is 20 miles away from Beloit. The funny thing is, they got famous when they went to Japan.


Why Japan? Why not Beloit? Or Turkey? Or Chile? Or Hungary? This is making me hungry!


I don't know, Maria. All I know is that Cheap Trick went to a place in Japan called Budokan, recorded a live album and became huge stars. And this song was the big hit:




Wow, can you believe that lead singer still says Mommy and Daddy? And what's the deal with the guy playing guitar? Did he have a bad incident at the clothing store?


He dressed that way on purpose, Maria.


I can't think of any purpose for dressing that way, Dad!


Well, I'm not prepared to argue the point. But anyway, it's time to vote. Pick your favorite song in the comments. Anything else you want to add, Maria?


WE'LL MISS EVERYBODY WHILE WE'RE IN BELOIT! SO PICK YOUR FAVORITE OR PREPARE TO DEAL WITH THE WRATH OF FEARLESS MARIA WHEN I GET BACK! HA!




4 comments:

Gino said...

cheap trick, of course.
and you remember maria: your daddy's alright. he just seems a little wierd.

Anonymous said...

I am picking Wang Dang Doodle. That way, I get to double dip and pick Koko and Willie.

Mark, did I ever tell you about the throw-down between Koko Taylor and Willie Dixon that I had the pleasure to witness up close at ChicagoFest?
I was backstage at ChicagoFest in 1979 or 1980. (It was Chicago Blues Day, and one of my best friends fathers was the CPD Watch Commander in charge of security at ChicagoFest.) The lineup was incredible. I believe it was (in this order): Lonnie Brooks, Junior Wells, Sugar Blue, Buddy Guy, Koko Taylor, Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters. Just an incredible lineup, and I was backstage from 11am till after midnight. Anyways, Koko is on before Willie Dixon, and she proceeds to do almost nothing but Willie Dixon songs. And not obscure ones, but real chestnuts: "Little Red Rooster", "Evil", "Back Door Man", "I Ain't Superstitious", "My Babe" and, of course, "Wang Dang Doodle".

While she is finishing up with "Wang Dang Doodle", Willie's Limo pulls up, and Lonnie Brooks makes a beeline for the car. He gets in, and Dixon pops out the other side 30 seconds later, loaded for bear. He waits in the path where Taylor has to exit the stage, with me and my buddy standing there with them. What ensued cannot be repeated here, but it was the funnest "fly on a wall" 10 minutes of my entire life. 2 or 3 hours later, Muddy capped off the night by inviting the days line up on stage for an encore of "Sweet Home Chicago", but he kicked Koko off the stage, and she left, screaming. Priceless.

Heurings, Have fun at Beloit. I am sure it will be difficult not to. I am envious. I'd contemplate crashing it, but am out of commission right now, and trying to recover in time to visit my son next weekend at SUNY Buffalo's Family Weekend.

Have a great weekend,
Rich

Mr. D said...

That's a great story, Rich! And what a thrill to see Muddy Waters, too.

And what a songbook Willie Dixon has -- it's truly astonishing, when you think about it.

K-Rod said...

Cheap Trick.

"...Father says, "Your mother's right, she's really up on things."...

...rolling on the couch. Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out."