Monday, April 26, 2010

Lightning Round - Lunch Time Edition

Too much fun these days and not a lot of time:
  • What's a good way to show how much you care about the environment? Build a 20,000 square foot house, of course. Well played, Tom Brady and Giselle Bundchen. We'll eschew the Commodores reference for now.
  • I don't know a lot about Dick Leinenkugel's politics, although I hear he's a bit of a RINO, but given the history of success of celebrity candidates in Wisconsin, he might as well run against Russ Feingold.
  • I've always had a difficult time sorting out my views on immigration. Generally speaking I think immigration is a good thing -- anyone who has enough gumption to pull up stakes and leave a bad situation deserves credit. Having said that, I don't live in Arizona, so I wouldn't presume to understand all the problems Arizonans face in sharing a border with a corrupt kleptocracy like Mexico. My sense is that we have a larger problem, which is assimilation. But that problem isn't inherent in Mexican immigrants so much as it is in those who would presume to champion their cause in the United States.

2 comments:

my name is Amanda said...

What do you mean by assimilation? I'm not following that thought. Further, it sounds like you are making a very simple racist law into something abstract, when it's actually more similar to requiring Jewish Germans to wear stars on their outer clothing in Nazi Germany. As far as regional issues vs. civil rights, if The South one day decided to reintegrate segregation, I wouldn't hesitate to presume to understand their problem: the problem would be that they're a bunch of racists (in that hypothetical scenario).

Mr. D said...

What do you mean by assimilation?

A lot. It's probably worth a post or two.

Further, it sounds like you are making a very simple racist law into something abstract, when it's actually more similar to requiring Jewish Germans to wear stars on their outer clothing in Nazi Germany.

I didn't realize that Mexicans were a race. I know a lot of people of Mexican descent and they come in all shapes, sizes and hues. And you've run afoul of Godwin's Law.

If everyone and everything is racist, then the term doesn't really have much meaning anymore. It's just a slur.