Thursday, November 25, 2010

Benster and D Pick Your Thanksgiving Games -- Turkeys Everywhere You Look


Old dude, I think I've found the turkey already. It's E. Gordon Gee, who told us that he doesn't think much of Boise State and TCU. Here's what he said:


I do know, having been a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like Murderer's Row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day. So I think that until a university runs through that gauntlet, that there's some reason to believe that they may not be the best teams to be in the big ball game.


I take it you disagree with that, youngblood.

Yes, Decrepit. So tell me who Ohio State played in non-conference games this year. I looked it up and they played Miami, which is a pretty tough opponent. But their other opponents include some real heavyweights, like Marshall, Ohio University and the dreaded Eastern Michigan. You know what two things those schools have in common, old dude?

They all wear green, I think.

Good for you, AARP-meister! But the other thing they have in common is this -- they stink! Boise beat Oregon State and Virginia Tech in non-conference play, and TCU beat Utah on the road. I don't see why E. Gordon Gee should get all gee-whiz about these fine non-BCS squads. And I'm confused -- why would a guy who was involved in Watergate be the president of Ohio State?

I think you're confusing E. Gordon Gee with G. Gordon Liddy. A common misperception.

Thank you for clearing that up, Bob Woodward! But the other thing I have to say to Gee is this: c'mon, man!

I admire your restraint.

Well, I turn on the HYYYYYYPPPPE when it's time to pick football games. So here it comes, baybee!

New England Belicheks (-6 1/2) vs. Motor City Kitties. Well it's that time of the year when the Lions go on national television and humiliate themselves. It's like being on Dancing with the Stars and not being able to dance. The Lions haven't won on Thanksgiving Day since 2003. Can they win today? No way. Plymouth Rock 35, Tame House Cats 0.


You know something? The Lions are getting better. They've played everyone tough this year and I expect they'll play the Patriots tough, too. I think the Lions are 7-3 against the point spread this year, even though they are 2-8. So let's say they beat the spread and lose the game. New England 28, Lions 24.


New Orleans Epic Fantasy League Quarterback Drew Breeses (-4) vs. Dallas How 'Bout Them Cowboahs. Wow, I'm almost out of breath after that intro! As you might guess, I have epic fantasy league quarterback Drew Brees on my squad, while Decrepit has Bobby Hebert, I think. He has a hard time keeping up on things, as you've probably noticed from his terrible picking this year. I've been surprised how Jason Garrett has been able to turn the ship around in Dallas. They are playing much better since they slunk out of Green Bay a few weeks back. But the Saints are only the defending Super Bowl Champions. That means something. The Saints also remember that the Cowboys beat them last year. The Saints won't be happy. Who Dat 70, Cowboahs 69.


No defense in Big D, you say? Could be. But I suspect that the Cowboys are going to give a good accounting of themselves. And they will win today. Dallas 31, New Orleans 23.


Au-barn War Eagle/Tigers/Cam Newton Payers (+4 1/2) vs. Alabama Crimson Tide. Now, I don't know for sure if Auburn paid Cam Newton to be their quarterback, but it's pretty clear that he's paid off for them thus far. But, this game is different. This is Alabama. This is Sparta! Alabama is second in the nation in passing defense and on offense they should try to eat up as much time as possible to keep Newton off the field. That is, if the NCAA doesn't get to him first. No BCS for you, Au-Barn! Roll Tide 17, Waaaar Eagle 13.


These teams hate each other. And everyone else hates them. Especially people in the Boise area. I agree with the young fella -- the Boise State Broncos are going to get their chance. Alabama wins. Alabama 24, Auburn 17.


Time to get some turkey! Ben out!

No comments: