Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Zimmerman Note

So George Zimmerman is facing second degree murder charges in the death of Trayvon Martin. I don't have any particular insight into the case, as is the case with about 99% of the people who have been commenting on the matter. I have two observations:

  • I am not surprised that Zimmerman was charged. Given everything that has happened, it would have been well-nigh impossible to let this matter go. And although I suppose it has happened at some point, you don't generally hear much about special prosecutors who choose not to prosecute.
  • I am surprised that the charge is second degree murder. It will be more difficult to prove than manslaughter, especially since Florida law requires proving the following: "Murder with a Depraved Mind occurs when a person is killed, without any premeditated design, by an act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind showing no regard for human life." That's a pretty high bar to cross. My only guess is that the prosecutor is hoping to get Zimmerman to plead down to manslaughter.

3 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Yeah, I was wondering about that charge too. Any idea when the circus/trial will commence?

Mr. D said...

No idea, WBP. Would prefer it be soon, or much later.

CousinDan 54915 said...

The courts are checking with the Obama Campaign to see how they want the trial to be timed. Not really, but the 99% commentators Mr D. mentioned don't know any more than me.