Friday, January 31, 2020

Benster and D Pick Your Games----Super Bowl HYYYYPPPEEE! Edition

Old dude, there is a lot of HYYYYYYPPPEEEE! going around Miami this week. Will it be the end of a 25 year drought for the Niners, or will it be the end of a 50 year drought for the Chiefs? So many things to discuss. In fact, I think every single topic has been beaten to death all week long.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Glad you do. Don't worry about me, either.

I'll try not to worry. Unless you find yourself as part of the pregame show, which started last Tuesday, I think. 

No, that was Jerry Nadler, or maybe Frank Caliendo doing Nadler. Or something. I will not be watching the Super Bowl pregame show very much. It's like they forget the real fans. But I have things to tell you, so. . . it's time to watch me work.

San Francisco 49ers (+1.5) vs. Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs are a great team, but it must be acknowledged that they did get lucky in who they had to play in the playoffs. They avoided New England and Baltimore due to the Titans, and dodged massive bullets at Arrowhead early on in both playoff games. It's an open question if the Chiefs would have won against New England or Baltimore, but you play who you have to play. The Niners are a great team and looked more dominant in their playoff wins. I'm going to be blunt about Andy Reid. The guy can coach, and nobody is disputing his ability to develop quarterbacks. His problem is that he seemingly refuses to improve his clock management and focus on defense. The Chiefs can ill afford to go behind again on this stage, as the Niners have the better defense. This might be Andy Reid's Waterloo as a coach. Even Napoleon found out that his talents had limits, and Reid is in danger of becoming the NFL's Napoleon. That is, a great offensive mind that refused to adapt and got beat by better opponents. However, Napoleon won many victories, and this might be Reid's Austerlitz. Chiefs 31, Niners 28, in OT.

I got the license plate number of the truck that ran over the Packers. It was something 31. Now, do I expect Raheem Mostert to be the key to the game? Probably not. But I think the 49ers are built for this moment. They have a top-notch front seven on defense and enough skill on the back line to keep Patrick Mahomes from going completely berserk. They also are built to play keep away, which is still the best way to deal with Mahomes. I think it's a close game, but I'm picking the 49ers. 49ers 34, Chiefs 28.

Thanks for reading us all year long, and see you next fall. Enjoy your weekend, and Ben out.

5 comments:

Petercorp said...

I can't allow the Caliendo mention go unnoticed. That's hilarious, but only due to it possibly being reality. Also, I do feel the need to point out that Len Dawson, the last QB to win a Super Bowl for KC, who did radio coverage of Chief games here in KC, loved to say ill afford as much as he possibly could. I've spent the last almost two weeks trying to soften what could be a very hard blow to the Chief Faithful.

I've tried to explain as someone who has watched a team that they favor above all of the other teams the sting of watching them losing a championship. And they will not have the luxury of a loss cushioned by winning it all the year before. But they're too excited to listen. It's rare that I get to feel like an adult. I don't have children, and so I never knew what it's like to feel like a parent before now.

Just a few examples of what it's like down here. I heard two guys arguing as to if they would beat the Titans in the AFC Title game by three or four touchdowns. One said that he knew that they were going to go to and win the Super Bowl this year. I asked him how much money he won after making that bet in Vegas. I guess that he forgot to put his coin down several months ago.

Sports are a fun and funny thing. I've been lucky to be from a place where the teams are competitive or have been relevant. The Packers have played in eight of the last 24 NFC Championship games winning three and then going on to two League Titles. Fans from Wisconsin have been very lucky over the last two or three decades.

KC has had a little but of luck being less than a half of an hour from KU Bball, and the Royals having a solid four years a few years ago winning one World Series and losing another. I think that Sporting did something, but I can't follow soccerball. Sorry for all of my rambling. I hope that it was almost coherent.

I do think that KC is in for a surprise on Sunday. I'd say that they're pretty comparable to the 2019 Packers. A little bit better version of them to be more exact. And we saw how that game played out, twice. KC can win a close one, the 49ers could too, but it looks more like the Niners run away with it, and in a convincing fashion.

I was here in KC when Green Bay won in 1997, in Wisconsin when they lost in 1998, and in Washington when they won it in 2011. I had to watch in KC as they won the World Series in 2015, and in Houston when they were Series Champs in 2017. I doubt that I'll be on someone else's home turf during this Lombardi Trophy Celebration.

Mr. D said...

Sports are a fun and funny thing. I've been lucky to be from a place where the teams are competitive or have been relevant. The Packers have played in eight of the last 24 NFC Championship games winning three and then going on to two League Titles. Fans from Wisconsin have been very lucky over the last two or three decades.

I agree with that 100%. And you and I can both remember times when it wasn't the case. I never take it for granted.

Petercorp said...

You're exactly right. And it can change very quickly. The losses are a little bit easier to take on the NFL side for me. I just don't see many fans of The Pack acting as entitled as Patriot Fans. But there aren't that many having to live in NYC's shadow. I have no idea as to how much of any difference that really makes. Having been there before does seem to matter in most cases.

Gino said...

what s Super Bowl. Both teams played well enough to win, and deserved to be there. That said, i was rooting for the Chiefs because they were due, as was Andy Reid. But dammit, i would have been ecstatic if one of my favorite Bears ever, Robby Gould, sealed it for his team with a field goal.

3john2 said...

I liked both teams going in and was mainly rooting for a great game, so I'm happy. If I were to have bet, I would have figured SF's defense would have the edge and their offense would keep Mahomes and the Chiefs off the field. It looked like that would be the case, but even as the announcers were grooming Garappalo for game MVP with talk of his accuracy, I had the sense that when Jimmy G and the Niners shot blanks on the key 3rd quarter drive - even though they were still leading - that they had lost the game. The 49ers and the Vikings have essentially the same offense, and the same issue at QB.

I will say that I liked the too-long-by-half "Take it to the House, Kid" pre-kick commercial because the Steve Young "Take it to the house, kid" line was followed by Joe Montana saying, "Take the bags to the car, kid" - and the "kid" turning out to be Garappalo.