Monday, August 07, 2006

Teeing up t-ball for the last time

My daughter's fearsome t-ball team will take the field again tonight for a game against the dreaded Team Three. This is the last game of the season. I had planned to provide ongoing coverage of her season, much as I had for my son's team, but it's been difficult to do that. There are a number of reasons:

  1. It's difficult to provide a score when no one is keeping score
  2. It's not easy to capture the action of a t-ball game, except to note that it bears only a passing resemblance to baseball
  3. You would have to be especially churlish to criticize the performance of a six-year old child
  4. At this level, praise is best offered directly to the kids, not via a blog

There are a few things that are true, however, about my daughter's team, that are worth noting here.

  1. I don't know that you'll find a nicer group of kids than this group. We had 11 very distinct personalities on display, but they all managed to get along very nicely.
  2. Not surprisingly, we had a wonderful group of parents as well. They were uniformly supportive of their kids and really cheered on everyone.
  3. My co-coach is really a fine individual and his son has a chance to be a really good ballplayer at the next level. We also had one other kid who is remarkably talented. It can be a challenge for kids like that to not be bored with the basic coaching that we have to do at this level, but these two young men are very good about it.
  4. While I'm very happy about the kids I had, it's disappointing that the City of New Brighton was only able to field three teams this year. I know there are kids in the age group who might like to play, but for some reason they aren't on the field. That does not bode well for the future of the sport in this community.

If you are in the area and want to see a fun, spirited game, come check us out. Game time is 6:15 tonight at Pike Lake #2.

No comments: