Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Pharisee in my mirror

If you're even remotely familiar with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, you will know well who the Pharisees are. The Pharisees are, in their own way, stock characters. They are constantly available to test and taunt Jesus, trying to trick Him into saying something that will allow them to put Him down. They are self-righteous and self-congratulatory, always sitting where they can be seen in the Temple, and ostentatious in their public displays of generosity. Because the Pharisees are so transparent in their vices, they are easy to recognize and ridicule. They also make us feel better because we are not like them.

Or so we like to think. I know few people who would recognize themselves as Pharisees. It's always the other guy who is like that. Not me. No, I'm reverent and respectful. In fact, everyone knows that.

I've been thinking about Pharisees lately because of the recent contretemps surrounding Mac Hammond, the pastor of the sprawling Church of the Living Word in Brooklyn Park. Hammond and his congregation largely flew under the radar of the commentariat around here, but that all changed last year when Hammond made public his support for now-Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. Because Hammond dared to tread into the political arena, he and his parish are coming under all manner of scrutiny, especially because Hammond does not exactly come on as a sackcloth and ashes guy. He has clearly made a lot of money and his church has been wildly successful. In fact, the subject of money has been one of the greatest bones of contention. Because Hammond has a lot of money, many of the bien pensants assume he must be some sort of an Elmer Gantry type. The most recent example is in today's Star Tribune, where cartoonist Kirk Anderson renders Mac Hammond as "Hack Mammon." Kirk is subtle that way.

I'm not a member of his congregation - as regular readers know, I'm a cradle Catholic and am steeped, maybe swamped, in Catholic thought. I tend to cast a gimlet eye on Hammond's particular version of Christianity. Having said that, I believe that a lot of the outrage that Hammond has faced since last year is silly at best, pernicious at worst. I have no way of knowing what is inside Pastor Hammond's soul, or his bank account, but I know that his ministry has provided a lot of support to good causes and has provided tangible benefits to many in the Twin Cities and beyond. He shares the Good News with vigor and conviction. And I also sense that much of the opposition to Hammond and his ministry are rooted less in concern for Christian values than in envy. Hammond believes his financial success is intrinsic to the gifts God has given him. And he may be right. What I know is this - Jesus offered a challenge to the Pharisees of his time that still stands; let the one among you who is without sin cast the first stone. Every time I feel the urge to pick up a stone, I try to remember that.

No comments: