Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It's not supposed to matter

One of the silliest parts of a job search is that you have to answer the same question over and over and over again. Although it's not supposed to matter, the federal government continues to ask potential employers to obtain racial, ethnic and gender information on all applicants. I'm not sure what the numbers really mean, since the documents requesting this information state repeatedly that the information has nothing to do with a prospective job application. But every time I submit an application, I get asked the question. Although it's not supposed to matter.

Since it's not supposed to matter, I have no incentive to hide my racial/gender characteristics. But since it's not supposed to matter, it's a little disconcerting to keep answering the same question. Especially since it's not supposed to matter.

No comments: