Saturday, May 03, 2008

Guilty Pleasures Part Sixteen - Cheesehead Rock


Since the snotty leftists didn't get a lot of love, let's turn the page to something different. Let us now praise (semi-) famous Cheeseheads.


Before we begin, we need to be honest about something; when it comes to rock history, Minnesota has my beloved home state of Wisconsin beat every which way possible. There are no Dylans or Princes in the Badger State pantheon. But the cupboard is not bare by any means.


The story begins with two related acts who met and worked together in the mid 1960s at the University of Wisconsin. Eventually they both wound up in California and made their fortunes there, mostly a decade later. But we can certainly lay claim to both of these big-time hitmakers.


First, from late 1973, playing his biggest hit and demonstrating how much fun a slide guitar can be, it's the Steve Miller Band, speaking of the "pompatous" (or is it Pompitus?) of love in:




Next, Steve's former Mad-town running mate Boz Scaggs in full international rock star mode (and with full orchestra), from 1976, reminding us of the sad, sad, truth, the dirty




Fast forward to 1982. The Pretenders came to Milwaukee for a show and noticed some buskers playing away near the venue. They liked what they heard and helped the buskers get started on an odd but ultimately lengthy career. The buskers were known as the Violent Femmes and they were certainly heroes to a generation of alienated young males. It's quite possible that your host was part of their demographic. Herewith we present their most family-friendly choice:




Finally, we leave the angsty 80s for the 1990s. Butch Vig had made a name for himself as a producer, most notably of Nirvana's seminal Nevermind album. He had also produced records for Sonic Youth and the Smashing Pumpkins, among others. But he still wanted to play himself and the band that formed out of his previous bands Spooner and Fire Town became huge in the middle of the decade, once Vig and his pals had managed to recruit singer Shirley Manson. This band, Garbage, hit it pretty big in the 90s. From their eponymous debut album, Butch, Shirley and friends discuss the relative merits of a





The floor is open. And since this is a Wisconsin election, I fully expect that an unexplained last minute surge of votes from Milwaukee will likely give the election to John Kerry. But vote anyway!






8 comments:

Gino said...

boz scaggs, of course.
it was sooo 70's.

Fearless Maria said...

The name is bad. The name is actually horrible. But 4.

Bye, see you later.

Maria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike said...

I gotta go with Steve Miller. Geez, the pickings are slim for us Sconnies, aren't they? I mean, beyond these picks, I am hard-pressed to think of anyone else from Wisconsin who had any success. It's almost as if we are lacking musical ability as a state.

Benster said...

4. Because of the name. Who would think a band called Garbage would make a good song. I was thinking their song should be "The Dump." Get a life!

Ben

Mike said...

When I commented earlier, I said I was hard-pressed to think of any other band from Wisconsin that has done anything. I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the BoDeans.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

They were doing a bad job of lip-synching in the video, but I've got to go with the Steve Miller Band. It was actually a tough choice though, because Garbage and the Violent Femmes are both pretty good. (Boz Scaggs not so much.)

Anonymous said...

Mark,
Mike beat me to the punch on mentioning the omission of the BoDeans. I saw them in your home town in 1984 or 85. I was visiting my sister at Lawrence U., and they were billed as an up and coming local band. Though I suppose an Appleton guy might not think of a band from Waukesha as local. They were quite good and they soon lived up to their billing.

From the four picks, I am going with the Violent Femmes. I was a little surprised when I didn't see them in your snotty lefties list, but now I see that you were saving them for the Cheeseheads.
Rich

Mr. D said...

Mike and Rich,

I take your point about the BoDeans, but I usually do four bands. It came down to picking between Garbage and the BoDeans and I like Garbage better. Your mileage may vary.