Tuesday, July 15, 2008

All-Stars


As I write, the All-Star Game is still going on, now in the 11th inning and former Twin Cristian Guzman has just popped out to center. It's a baseball week as I am helping to coach a Little League all-star team that will be competing in a tournament for the next two weeks. It's a good group of 11 kids, all gamers with a couple who have a chance to perhaps play high school ball someday.

We spend a lot of time around here writing about selfish athletes, narcissistic politicians and the cynics and sycophants who hover in their orbits. That's one of the reasons that coaching is so much fun. I've been coaching for six years now and I've probably coached over 100 kids. Some of them have been outstanding athletes; most have just been typical suburban kids. But every kid I've ever coached has wanted to get better and has been open to learning and improving. It's hard to remain cynical when you see that.

No comments: