Monday, February 08, 2016

That's Really Super, Super Bowl

Brief thoughts on the big game and the attendant hoopla:

  • While Peyton Manning's courageous (but pedestrian) performance down the stretch of the season was a big story, I think the quarterback who mattered is John Elway. Elway saw his offensive juggernaut of two seasons ago get crushed by a strong Seattle defense and he determined that the Broncos should have a defense of similar talent and ferocity. He went out and acquired some tremendous talent to help MVP Von Miller succeed. You can win a championship in a number of ways, and it's easy to see the Broncos taking a step (or two) back next year, but winning a championship is the goal and the Broncos made it happen because they were willing to change.
  • I'm not a fan of Cam Newton, but I would cut him some slack over his performance yesterday, both in the game and afterwards. He didn't have enough talent around him to win against the best defense he saw all season. I don't think any other team in the league could have handled that defense.
  • The halftime show was just odd. I've heard most of the songs before, but it felt like a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. I suppose it was better than "Up With People," though.
  • I don't have a lot to say about the commercials, either, although I was amused that NARAL got so upset about the Doritos ad with the ultrasound. Some unsolicited advice -- lighten up.
  • Mostly a strong Hall of Fame class, although I continue to wonder why Eddie DeBartolo is going into the Hall -- his 49ers teams were great, but it's difficult to see what difference he made specifically. Brett Favre and Tony Dungy are the guys I'll be watching when the induction ceremony happens. Now we need to get going on Jerry Kramer for next year.
  • And while it's a cold few weeks, pitchers and catchers report in about a week. Can't wait!

3 comments:

Brian said...

It doesn't matter how good your QB is if your O-line looks like a sieve. That Broncos D was just monstrous.

That halftime show basically just served to remind me how much I hate Coldplay. I don't usually bother hating musicians (I just ignore them) but there is something about their particular brand of bland, insipid non-rock that just makes me angry.

3john2 said...

I think NARAL is just hungry; it should eat a Snickers. (Oh, wait, they're upset with Snickers, too). Maybe they're just being themselves after all.

First Ringer said...

Somewhere Mike Zimmer was watching that game and thinking, "average at best quarterback, aggressive defense? I can do that."