Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Unidentified Flying Object

I was on my way home from work yesterday. I had just crossed the Minnesota River. Then it happened. I have no idea what it was, because I never saw it hit my driver's side window. But the sound was loud and sharp. What the hell was that, I thought, as I continued on my way, northbound on 35W, heading for home.

After about a minute, in the time it takes to travel from 106th Street to 98th Street, the broken glass began to tumble onto me. Then more glass, then more still. As soon as I was able to work my way across the four lanes of rush hour traffic, I exited on 90th Street. I have lived in the Twin Cities for about 25 years, but I don't believe I've ever been on 90th Street before. I drove about a half mile to the east, past Lyndale, where I found an auto body shop. I pulled my glass-strewn car into the driveway and stopped. Fortunately, they were able to take a look at my vehicle, give me a quote for the repair and put a plastic wrap over the now-missing space where my window once was. I will be able to get the window fixed on Thursday.

Had I arrived at the point of impact a tenth of a second earlier, the object might have hit my windshield and the story would have potentially been very different. Had I arrived two seconds earlier, I'd have been on my way and some other dude might have taken the blow.

I could feel sorry for myself. It's an inconvenience. I might feel lucky, but good luck is not getting hit by something flying through the air in the first place. I could complain about it, but then I turn on the news and see the death toll continue to mount in Mexico, and watch the latest hurricane take aim at Puerto Rico. It can always be worse.

5 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I'm very pleased you're not dead.

Bike Bubba said...

Dittos to what WB said, and it strikes me that you've got a pretty rough commute through the cities and across the river. Ouch.

Mr. D said...

I'm very pleased you're not dead.

You and me both, WBP.

it strikes me that you've got a pretty rough commute through the cities and across the river.

I do. About 26 miles each way. I don't recommend it.

Gino said...

i commute 60 miles. you're an amature.

been think what that object might have been. considering you were passing over a bridge, i doubt that it was a rock kicked up by another vehical. Im thinking more that it was a stray falling bullet that some dufus shot into the air testing his rifle out for hunting season.

3john2 said...

I just put two + two together. Clearly, your window had to have been struck by pieces flying off of Mayor Betsy's political machine.