Friday, December 01, 2017

Benster and D Pick Your Games -- Lambeau Bound Edition

Old dude, I'm going east tomorrow. I'm going to personally supervise the Packers getting back into shape! That's right, I'll be at Lambeau Field on Sunday!

And for a December game, it won't be -20 for a change!

That's because the weather service brought the heat, so I'm bringing the HYYYYYYYPPPE!

We'll be watching for you -- don't cause any incidents, okay?

I won't. But first we have some bidness. Watch me work!

Big XII Title Game, at Jerryworld. Oklahoma Sooners (-7) vs. TCU Horned Frogs. I know this game does not involve Alabama, but if TCU wins the game, it gives Alabama a back door into the playoffs. I don't want that to happen, but I think there is a chance it will. This game is essentially a TCU home game, as the Horned Frogs are only 15 miles or so from their campus in Fort Worth. Combine that with this game being a rematch, and you have to wonder how Oklahoma is going to find the way to make this happen. TCU 24, Oklahoma 21.

I've seen Baker Mayfield a few times. He's pretty good. TCU has a pretty good defense, but last time the Sooners put 38 up on the Horned Frogs and they never got into the game. A fast start for the Sooners would be death. Oklahoma 31, TCU 20.

B1G Title Game, at the House that Peyton Manning Built -- Beloved Wisconsin Badgers (+5) vs. That School in Columbus. Once again, the Badgers are getting no respect, despite being an undefeated team. It's like this:



The critics are wearing blindfolds yet again! Ohio State has a problem entirely of their own making. They are so mad about what happened on the sidelines last weekend that I suspect they've lost some focus. No one cares about the camera guy who may or may not have hit J.T. Barrett. Combine that outrage with Ohio State's already noxious campaign to get into the playoff and you have to wonder whether they even realize there's going to be a team on the other side of the field. The team on the other side of the field is 12-0. The Badgers will win the most important game they have played in my lifetime. And still won't get any respect. Wisconsin vs. Everyone 35, Ohio State 17.

Remember that bit about getting jumped early? That's the key here. The only thing that makes me nervous about this Badgers team is their quarterback's bad habit of throwing careless interceptions early on. You can get by with that sort of thing against lesser Big Ten teams, but not the Buckeyes. The Badgers need to be crisp and ready to roll. I think they will be, but it's going to be a struggle. Badgers 27, Ohio State 24.

Minnesota Vikings (+3) vs. Hotlanta Falcons. So what's the next trick for the Fighting Keenums? The Vikings are clearly in control in the NFC North, but this is a game that will give them problems. The Falcons still have a potent offense and I question the ability of Trae Waynes to cover Mohamed Sanu. Everyone pays attention to Julio, but the other guy makes plays, too. I also think the Vikings are going to struggle with the running game -- I have called Atlanta's run defense their hidden strength. This game is a trap game for the Vikings. Let's see how the Vikings respond to a little adversity as they step up in class. Falcons 45, Vikings 31.

Bet the over, then? I'm not so sure about that. I think it will be closer than that, and lower scoring, too. But I think the Falcons are going to be a tough out at home. Falcons 24, Vikings 20.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2) vs. Glorious Green Bay Packers. I will be taking this game in at Lambeau, sitting with a part owner, my aunt. It's her birthday on Sunday and she will be expecting her employees to perform well on her behalf. Will it happen? Yes. Tampa is not a very good team, although they have talent. The Packers looked a lot better last week against Pittsburgh and I think Brett Hundley turned the corner. I will have a lot of fun regardless, but the Packers better win. You don't want to see my aunt when she's angry at her employees. Packers 45, Bucs 0.

Uh, no. I like the Packers in this one, but they aren't going to win by that margin. They will win comfortably, however. Packers 27, Bucs 17.

I think that's it. I have to pack my bag and get ready to go to Lambeau. Last time I was there, it looked like this:


I'm not saying it happens again, but you never know. Ben out!

2 comments:

Gino said...

have fun in Lambeau, Benster! post pics.

3john2 said...

Jameis Winston knows what it is like to be a young quarterback who struggles, so he provided a couple of early Christmas presents to help Hundley feel better.

I barely pay attention to college football anymore. Like politics, it seems to be more and more like pro wrestling with overblown story-lines, outrageous interviews and lots of waving the red meat at partisans (who even needs a dog whistle anymore?). Speaking of rasslin', though, one might have expected the Vikings-Falcons game to be a folding-chair swinging extravaganza. Instead the Vikings offense and defense put the Falcons in a sleeper hold and simply choked them out. And, for once, no talk of "fines and suspensions".