Saturday, December 01, 2018

George H. W. Bush, RIP

Time waits for no one
We're all a mixed bag, I guess. George H. W. Bush certainly was one. He served his country in a variety of ways. We read his lips. He lost the presidency to an outright scoundrel. I always had a tough time getting the stench of his time at CIA out of my nose. Thousand points of light. Voodoo Economics. The Wall came down on his watch, but his predecessor was largely responsible for that. He was personally as gracious a man as ever occupied the Oval Office, but he could be a vicious politician when he had to be. His son became president and was even more of a muddle than he was.

Sorting out 41's legacy will be a challenge for historians. I think we're still too close. My sense right now -- his time was a wasted opportunity, but there's this -- of the presidents in my lifetime (Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 43, Obama, Trump), he's clearly the second best one. That's damning with faint praise, I guess.

3 comments:

Gino said...

Too soon to tell, but just from the standard of fixing what is broken, trump may be second to reagan

Petercorp said...

What has Trump fixed that was broken? My thoughts were that when he took office that he'd be the chairman of a board and delegate a lot off to those that he appointed to head up various government agencies. And from what I've heard that's what he's done. So if you agree with the changes he get's that credit. But what have they fixed that was broken? I'd have to think that he's too busy running his business to leave him with much time to be presidenting, but the comparison to Ronny works as I don't remember hearing that he spent anymore time than he had to doing the job either

Gino said...

Well, for starters, he's being crdited fixing the election to keep Hillary from winning.