Friday, December 25, 2020

Benster and D Pick Your Games----Big Vikings Trouble In New Orleans Edition

 Old dude, the Vikings will not be having an easy Christmas Day down in the Dome. The Saints are going to be hoping for a slip up to get the top seed. 

Is Santa a Saints fan?

Also, I heard rumors of a boat crime at Camp Randall. A bunch of Badgers just flat out capsized a boat carrying some Gophers with an Axe. I heard that the boat capsized in an #Elite manner. You really hate to see it. 

That's not showing the Christmas spirit, Seabiscuit. P.J. Fleck certainly has elfin qualities.

Maybe he's like this elf!

Like pulling teeth

Too much hair for Hermey. You know that, right?

His hairline is borderline for sure, as is his coaching. PJ can talk all he wants, but he has only beat his two biggest rivals only once, and he never has won a home rivalry game. 

Trophies leave the Bank a fair amount, but don't you have other games to pick?

Yes, but I always make time to dunk on PJ. I am feeling the HYYYYYPPPPEEEE!, and it's time to watch me work.

Wake Forest Demon Deacons (+7) vs. Wisconsin Badgers I am picking this game now, because it's scheduled for the middle of next week and I may not get back to it otherwise. Besides which, we need to celebrate the glory of the Duke's Mayo Bowl! 

Close to the actual payout for the winning team

The Badgers have not played well this year, but accepting a bowl bid was the right move. You want the extra practices, and winning against Wake and keeping the Axe would be a good ending to a bad year. Wake is kinda middle of the road in the ACC, which to be fair is incredibly top heavy this year with Clemson and Notre Dame. By the way, seeing the Domers in a conference title game in football is so 2020. I look for the Badgers to play well in Charlotte, and send the seniors out the right way. Badgers 35, Wake 14.

I hope the trophy for the Duke's Mayo Bowl has a use-by date. Meh. Badgers 24, Wake Forest 20.

Minnesota Vikings (+7) vs. New Orleans Blame The Refs The NFL this year is pulling something out that I never thought would be possible. They will have played a game every day of the week, and this game should be very interesting. The Saints have recently had two brutal playoff defeats to the Vikings, including in the playoffs last year. Well, things have changed since that afternoon in the Dome. I love Drew Brees, but the man clearly didn't look like himself against Kansas City. Also, the Saints don't have a lot of wideouts to throw to. The Vikings quite frankly need this one badly after losing to Da Bearz at home. This is the type of game that the Vikings signed Kirk Cousins for, and he needs to deliver. I'm torn. As a fan of a division rival, it would be good if the Vikings got eliminated so my beloved Packers wouldn't have to see Dalvin run all over us again. But it would also help us if the Saints lose, so the Packers would look better to get the top seed in the NFC. I think the Vikings are just not good enough, and they are still flawed. In fact, I think Mike Zimmer is coaching for his job right now. Pray for Ron Johnson and Corey Cove. Plus, even though Sean Payton is annoying, the guy can coach up backup quarterbacks. The fact that New Orleans was competitive the past few years without Brees is the number one example. Blame the Refs, Not the Team 24, KFAN Vikings Whine Line 10.

There's no reason to pick the Vikings in this one. So I will. Vikings 28, Saints 24.

Los Angeles Rams (+1.5) vs. Seattle Seachickens This game is being picked because it directly impacts the Packers in terms of the top seed in the NFC playoff hunt. Seattle is leading the NFC West do in large part to one of the most hilarious results I have ever seen. The Rams somehow lost to the Jets. The Jets are so bad, that their fanbase was mad because they wanted to get Trevor. Seattle is at home, though the Microsoft and Boeing bro bandwagon fans will not be in attendance. A Rams win would be very nice and all of Wisconsin is rooting for them to get it done. I think they can, as the Seachickens have no defense, and lost to the freaking Giants at home. Rams 35, Seachickens 10.

The Seahawks lost to the Giants, but the Rams lost to the freaking Jets. Can't trust either side. Pick the home team. Seahawks 34, Rams 22.

Tennessee Tuxedos (+3.5) vs. Glorious Green Bay Packers Last week was not exactly a work of art, but the Packers were the better team on the field against the Panthers. This week is the real test, and the one that the Packers fanbase has been dreading. The Titans are in the mix for the AFC South title, and have the thing that scares even a delusional homer like myself. That would be an elite running back. Derrick Henry is probably the best in the league, and we all know what he can do. The Packers thankfully can still clinch the bye against Da Bearz, but you don't want to have to worry about playing a desperate team at home. I think that the defense will stand up for itself and Mike Pettine will have the best defensive performance of his tenure in Green Bay on Sunday Night Football. Packers 31, The Fall of the Titan King Henry 10.

Wish I were that confident. You've seen Derrick Henry, right?


That's terrifying. I am picking the Packers, but if we see some of this, it could be a tough one. Packers 35, Titans 31.

Enjoy your football. Ben out. 

6 comments:

Brad Carlson said...

In fact, I think Mike Zimmer is coaching for his job right now.

I guess if you keep uttering a variation of this statement every week of each NFL season, you'll likely be correct one day. But I'm skeptical Zimmer will be the fall guy for a defense decimated by free agent losses and 4 starters missing most if not all this season.

Better luck next year.

Mr. D said...

But I'm skeptical Zimmer will be the fall guy for a defense decimated by free agent losses and 4 starters missing most if not all this season.

Benster can (and certainly will) speak for himself. I would say this -- Spielman has to be on thin ice at this point, given the precarious cap position the Vikings will be in. And if the Vikings move on Spielman and put in a new GM, Zimmer might be on thin ice, too.

Petercorp said...

Duke's is the best mayo that I've ever had. It was so good that I was dipping potato chips directly into it. They don't use sugar and they add a twist of lime if I recall.

Brad Carlson said...

And if the Vikings move on Spielman and put in a new GM, Zimmer might be on thin ice, too.

Possible. But that's the consequence of any new GM wanting to bring in his own guy. Therefore, there's nothing Zim could do to keep his job, so "coaching for his job" is the incorrect narrative.

All that said, I believe both will be back next season.

Mr. D said...

Therefore, there's nothing Zim could do to keep his job, so "coaching for his job" is the incorrect narrative.

But is it really incorrect? This wouldn't even be a theoretical conversation if the Vikings were 9-6 instead of 6-9. I am disinclined to blame Zimmer for injuries, but he didn't cover himself in glory this week in particular. It's tough to know what the Wilfs are thinking, but they can't be happy, especially given the crippling situation the Cousins contract has caused.

I would say this -- if the Wilfs do move on Spielman and/or Zimmer, if I were the Packers I would bring in Zimmer as the DC in a New York minute.

Mr. D said...

Duke's is the best mayo that I've ever had. It was so good that I was dipping potato chips directly into it. They don't use sugar and they add a twist of lime if I recall.

Not a mayo fan generally, but that's high praise indeed. I haven't seen Duke's Mayo available here in Minnesota, but next time I'm at the grocery store I may have to seek it out.