Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Still bulleting

Stuff is happening faster than I can write about it. But I can at least weigh in.
  • No time to take a bow, apparently, since the Somali pirates are at it again, attacking a U.S. cargo ship today off the coast of Kenya. They weren't able to get on board, thankfully. It may be time to stop worrying about the water and going after these dudes on the shore. I'm guessing the Navy has just the stuff to deal a few blows.
  • The endgame draws near in the interminable Coleman/Franken battle, with it now quite likely that Al Franken will actually go to Washington. Norm will keep battling, but while he continues to have a good argument, he doesn't have a good remedy available. What I'd like to see come of this -- a change in the law so that, going forward, an election this close is decided by runoff rather than by which side has the better lawyers.
  • I wrote earlier today about the risible, content-free white paper that DHS put out concerning the threat of right-wing extremists. As usual, John Hinderaker at Powerline delivers the appropriate smackdown. Go read it.
  • Gino mentioned something else that I should have written about -- the death last week of Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart, who was killed by a drunk driver following his 2009 pitching debut. It's hard to know what would have happened to Adenhart had he been someplace else at the fateful moment -- whether he would have had a glorious career or turned out to be a short-lived sensation like Mark Fidrych, or simply a journeyman. It's unspeakably sad that we'll not find out.

3 comments:

my name is Amanda said...

I agree that a run-off may have been preferable to this series of insufferable appeals in the Franken/Coleman case. (As long as it wasn't as close as the original vote.)

Also, nothing to disagree with (?!) - I'm just still here because I'd like to take a moment to swell with pride over the fact that a very dear friend of mine (MB, who I mention occasionally on the blog) is currently deployed on a destroyer in the Gulf/Indian Ocean (and has been since December). I don't think they've had to deal directly with pirates yet, a fact that makes me feel both disappointed and relieved.

Mr. D said...

You should be proud, Amanda. And I thank MB for his service!

Gino said...

nice to see you're coming my way on the pirate solution.