Thursday, March 25, 2010

Brain space


Enough of the damned politics.


Fearless Maria and I weren't able to get our act together to write a Guilty Pleasures tonight, so I thought I'd try something different. I'm going to offer you two video links from the late 1970s. These are two songs that I personally like a lot. Tell me if you think these songs work together well, because I think they do.


The first was probably the biggest hit for the Los Angeles funksters the Brothers Johnson, from 1977:




About a year later, we heard from the British band 10cc, who were a pretty spotty outfit overall but had a habit of hitting their singles on the nose:




These are two different songs but they have always shared space in my brain because they are both soft-spoken, minor key songs with a medium tempo with a somewhat dream-like quality, I guess. I think that's it, at least.


So here are my questions for you:


1) Do you hear the same thing I hear?

2) Are there any two similar songs that share space in your brain the way these two songs share space in my brain?

1 comment:

Fearless Maria said...

Yeah, gosh they do sound the same way, Dad. Sorry I couldn't get my act together tonight. Oh, and personally, I'd say that 10cc has a little better looks. I hope the Brothers Johnson have got rid of the Afros the size of the Willis Tower. All these words stated in this comment are very true and according to the government you may not sue me, I don't think -- Fearless Maria