Monday, March 15, 2010

Please send the letter

My good friend and blogging colleague Brad Carlson sent me a link to a site that will send an e-mail to your member of Congress (in my case, Betty McCollum) and another to the 58 members of the so-called "Blue Dog Coalition." The site gives you form letters that you can edit. I've edited my letters as follows.

First, my message to Cong. McCollum, who it must be noted doesn't give a damn what I think:

I write to remind you that your constituents oppose government-run health care and any legislation which might broaden the federal government's control over health care. There is no real support for the path you are currently considering.

Current health care legislation will result in lost health insurance and lost jobs for the American people and will push us deeper into recession. An employer would be foolish to hire a person now and be saddled with ruinous costs. Rather than providing more insurance, this legislation will eventually turn most employees into independent contractors. This will inevitably lead to a single-payer government healthcare regime. While you might think this desirable, rest assured that your constituents will not.

More importantly, a yes vote for this monstrosity will fundamentally change the nature of the relationship between the government and those it purports to govern. If my health care is subject to the whim of the government and the battery of bureaucracies that will result from the implementation of this legislation, I will face compulsion in my lifestyle choices.

You have been told, no doubt, that this is an historic vote. Indeed it is. If you vote yes for the bill, you will permanently harm the country in an irreparable way. And please note this -- the citizens of the 4th District will view your vote as a resignation letter and I will do everything within my power to ensure your defeat, so you will be able to enjoy the fruits of your historic vote as a private citizen.

Next is the message I have sent to the Blue Dogs:

I write to encourage you to oppose government-run health care and any legislation which might broaden the federal government's control over my health care.

Current health care legislation will result in lost health insurance and lost jobs for the American people and will push us deeper into recession.

I hope that you fight against health care legislation that would drive up costs, diminish quality and limit access. Please know that I'll be looking to see how you vote this March. If you vote yes, I and millions of others will consider your vote a resignation letter and we will use our collective energies to oust you from office. If you believe that this healthcare initiative is such a fine idea, we will give you an opportunity to enjoy the results of your handiwork in January of 2011.

The hour is growing near. These people need to hear from you. I don't have any illusions about my own representative. Cong. McCollum will vote for this crap sandwich -- it's a foregone conclusion that she will since Cong. McCollum is essentially sewn into the lining of Nancy Pelosi's coat pocket and the next independent thought McCollum has will be her first. We'll get to work on ousting her pretty soon.

Even if your representative is a lost cause, send a note -- it doesn't take that long and the Blue Dogs are the ones who really need to hear from you. Perhaps your note will be the one that sends a Blue Dog's careerist, survivalist instinct into gear and leads to a No vote. In addition, there are non-Blue Dog representatives here in the Upper Midwest (Tim Walz, Ron Kind, Steve Kagen) who might break the right way if they feel enough heat. If these guys think they can get by with voting yes, they will. Make sure they understand the implications of their vote. Do it today.

2 comments:

K-Rod said...

Done!

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you...I am so disgusted with Jason Altmire (PA). Supposedly he is a moderate...but yet voted yay yesterday for the deem and pass crap. He got an email from me this morning that was none too pleasant.