Monday, February 11, 2013

Clarification


I wrote briefly this morning about the news that Pope Benedict is resigning/retiring/abdicating. I made a statement in my initial post that needs a little clarification.

I wrote the following this morning:  “It was time for Benedict to go and, to his credit, he recognizes that.” I want to make it clear that I was not arguing that Benedict had overstayed his welcome or that I wanted him to leave the papacy. 

What I do mean is this — Benedict’s role as a transitional figure had two components, in my mind. First, he needed to consolidate some of the gains the Church made during the crucial and historic papacy of his predecessor, John Paul II. Much of that work involved the internal workings of the Vatican and is necessarily inside baseball. Second, and this is crucial, his steady hand and great faith were crucial for the Church in preparing the way for his successor, who will almost certainly be instrumental in continuing the ministry and initiatives that JPII started. I have a strong sense that what will happen in the coming days and weeks, coinciding with the Lenten season, will be filled with the Holy Spirit. And I sense that the Holy Spirit was instrumental in helping Benedict in his discernment.

The Church needs an energetic Pope, especially now. I suspect we will have one.

4 comments:

Gino said...

Popes do not resign, not normally anyway.

he spoke of a 'short reign' when he was elected. i think he really wasnt ambitious enough to see himself as a JP2, and has lived longer than he expected himself to.

maybe he's suffering from some form of dementia and is making the right choice.

being Pope is not that hard, unless you make it so.
the Pope's main job is to be. anybody can do that.
unless 'being' is more complicated, as in dementia, where you may say/preach things that should not be said.

anyway: i commend Il Papa for his decision. i'm sure it was not made lightly, and he (for reasons we may not know) sees it as in the best interest of The Church.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Speaking to you both, as catholics, do you have confidence that the Archbishops will choose well? Or is the a matter where you need to exercise your faith?

Gino said...

WB: we trust in the Holy Spirit that will lead us to elect a Papa who will not speak falsehood.

its not about the man, its about the charism.

but its always better when that charism is possessed by a man with charisma.

Mr. D said...

I do, WBP, for the reasons Gino outlined. As I said in the post, I sense the Holy Spirit at work right now. And I think the moment is right. Benedict knew that.