Monday, February 25, 2013

Everyone's Gone to the Movies

I followed a time-tested approach (well, I've done this at least twice before) for watching the Academy Awards broadcast, as follows:

  • Ignore it most of the evening
  • Watch the 10 p.m. news on another station
  • Turn on the broadcast after that
And by doing so, I got to see who won Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Picture. And I didn't have to endure any of the rest.

I haven't seen Argo yet, but I intend to. The people I know who have seen it have generally liked it. I didn't see Jennifer Lawrence in "Silver Linings Playbook," but I did see "The Hunger Games" and she was very good in that. And I'll get to "Lincoln" eventually. It was probably embarrassing for Lawrence to trip and fall on her way up to get the awards, but given the bizarre design of most evening gowns, it was almost inevitable it would happen to someone.

I'm guessing the one thing that probably will raise the ire of conservatives was the way the broadcast injected Michelle Obama into the festivities at the end. Of course, people forget the stellar job that Pat Nixon did in announcing that "The French Connection" won the Oscar back in 1972, or the star turn of Mamie Eisenhower in providing the award for Best Supporting Actor to Anthony Quinn in "Lust for Life" in 1957. People, you have to respect precedent.

Mrs. D did watch most of the show at an Oscar party she attended. She didn't like Seth Macfarlane very much. Neither did this dude. I guess my approach was the right one.

3 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Faith and I watched The Outlaw Josey Wales last night and forgot about the awards entirely. Now that's a method!

Brian said...

Had the last hour on while making dinner. MacFarlane's stuff is really uneven (early Family Guy, Ted: funny; pretty much everything else: terrible) so I'm not surprised he was not so good at this.

I love the movies and have no compulsion to bash Hollywood, but I have little very little patience for reverence "the Academy" seems to have for itself.

Anyway...I have seen few of the top nominees and winners yet, but Christoph Waltz was definitely the best thing in (the largely overrated, IMHO) Django Unchained, Daniel Day Lewis' speech was one of the best ever, I like Ben Affleck behind the camera a great deal more than in front, and Jennifer Lawrence can do no wrong as far as I am concerned.

Gino said...

"Winter's Bone" y'all...
the Jennifer Lawrence work you need to see.
why havent you yet, after i gave it such a stellar review?

Jessica Chastain was very good in Zero Dark, too... but i still remember her for that naked full frontal stroll she took in 'Lawless'.
there should be an award category for that type of thing.