Friday, November 03, 2017

Benster and D Pick Your Games -- Committee Hates Big Ten Edition

Old dude, it seems like the powers that be have a real beef with the Big Ten. They should have read my Very Special Comment.

I'm not certain they can read. They were taking their coursework in Roy Williams Hall at North Carolina.

They should listen to me. I call it like I see it, and I certainly am not biased. Heck, I even think Ohio State got a raw deal in the rankings.

I can see your point. But it's not the end of the world if the Big Ten has to prove it on the field. I think they can and will.

Well, the good news is that there is another major college game going on, one that is the most important rivalry game in Knox County.

Is it time for the Turkey Bowl?

Wait and see, Geritol Fan! It is time to pick some games, and maybe add some hard hitting analysis. So feel the HYYYYYYPPPEE! and watch me work!


Battle for the Little Brown Jug: Minnesota Golden Elite Rowers of the Boat (+15.5) vs. Michigan Hail To the Victors. So P.J. Fleck takes his Gophers out to Ann Arbor to face a very young and scuffling Michigan team. Jim Harbaugh is getting paid a lot of money for not a lot of good results. He has not beaten his main rivals consistently, and as a Badger fan I am conflicted. On the one hand, you want Michigan to win so that they could be ranked when they come to Madison. On the other hand, if the Gophers win then maybe the Gophers could gain confidence. I am going to go with my heart here, and think that P.J. Fleck will pull a big win that will get him some momentum going forward, even if this win won't be the signature Gopher win that he is going to need in year 2. Elite Rowers 36, Fire Jim Harbaugh 17.

The Gophers are a mess right now. I'm not certain Michigan is very good, either, but I don't see it happening this time. Michigan 33, Gophers 19.

Beloved Wisconsin Badgers (-9) vs. Indiana Wants Me, Lord I Can't Go Back There. It's been a while since we have had a chance to bust out this song, but tradition demands it.



The Badgers are up against it this weekend, with getting zero respect from the powers that be, possibly no Jonathan Taylor, Quintez Cephus, or D'Cota Dixon, and will be facing a very game Indiana team that has played better opponents very tough. This game is the type of trap game that every contender will face at some point, and I think this game is going to come down to Alex Hornibrook having to make some key plays. The Badgers probably won't blow the Hoosiers out like they have in the past, but should do just enough to escape and live to fight another day. Badgers 24, Hoosiers 10.

Bucky needs some style points. This is an opportunity. Bucky will find a way to make it less interesting than it should be. Wisconsin 34, Indiana 14.

The Bronze Turkey Bowl: Knox College Prarie Fire (NL) vs. Monmouth College Scots. This is by far the biggest and most important rivarly game in college football. Anyone that goes to either of these schools knows that this game is personal, and I consider Monmouth to be more annoying and almost as bad as Ohio State in my book. Monmouth has owned this game for a decade plus, but this year is going to be the year we go over there and steal back what is rightfully ours. And yes, since I go to Knox, I can drop the we. Knox 1835, Monmouth=Safety School -90.

Knox has had a nice season, but Monmouth is a lot better in football. Maybe not anything else, but football for sure. Monmouth 45, Knox 24.

Detroit LOLions (-2) vs. Glorious Green Bay Packers. The Packers are facing a game that they must find a way to win in order to keep on the Vikings's tail, and stay close enough in order for Aaron Rodgers to come back and get his revenge in December. The Packers need to do a couple of things in order to win; first, let Hundley use the full playbook, and give him some help. I was not happy with the coaching staff going too conservative against the Saints, and the Lions have a potent offense just like the Saints. Hundley does not have to win this game on his own, but will need more of Aaron Jones and needs Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, and more specifically Martellus Bennett to combine for 150 receiving yards and 2 scores. This game will not be easy, but if the Packers stay together and Hundley makes enough plays and gets help from the other guys in all three phases, then the Packers win and send a message to the Vikings that they have to stay the course. Packers 27, LOLions 17.

I think the Packers can win this game. In fact, they'd better. Packers 24, Lions 19.

We would pick more games, but no other college games interest me, and both the Vikings and the Bears are taking the weekend off. Enjoy your football this weekend, and Ben out!

No comments: