Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Nice 'n' Neat -- Part Two

We were talking about parties and stupid behavior. Let's move ahead, to the summer of 1983. A bunch of us went to a drive-in movie. We brought beer and cherry bounce, a homemade concoction made from cherries infused in brandy. For reasons that still seem odd to me, one of the people along with us that day was an older woman who had been one of our teachers in high school. She was single and we were all drunk. I don't precisely remember the sequence of events, but as the night went on we left the drive-in and ended up at a tavern. Somehow, she and I started to make out, right in the bar. It started to get a bit more intense and, suddenly, she had enough and burst out of the bar and went home. And that was that. Nothing ever happened with her again, although I saw her numerous times over the rest of the summer.

The next summer, I remember going to a party about a mile from my house. This party was completely out of control -- booze and pot and cocaine were all available. Somehow I got into a conversation with a guy who claimed to be a drug dealer and, in a drunken stupor, I remember discussing the possibility of helping him sell drugs at my college. In my drunken state, that seemed like a fine idea. I never saw the guy again. I walked home and enjoyed the hangover I'd earned the next day. Later on, I found out one of my friends who had been at the party got busted for drunken driving.

Those were two events that, had things gone a little differently, could have significantly altered the course of my life. I am certain there are people in my life who could recall these two events. If I were a public figure and one of these individuals were looking to monetize their relationship, or to settle a score, it would be relatively easy for that individual to draw up an affidavit and speak of my deviant ways, now 35 years ago.

More to come.


4 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

I've never been drunk, but with the outcry over #MeToo, I've thought over a few things in my past where the accusations could fly either way. Of course, it doesn't seem like a portion of the left cares about such things, so why bother?

Bike Bubba said...

And I calculated today that false accusations may affect up to ~ 1.5% of men for those accusations proven false (crime did not occur or reported behavior was not a crime), and then there is another portion of "insufficient evidence to indict" that is probably false allegations, but they can't prove it.

We need to come down harshly on actual sexual predators, and just as harshly, per Deuteronomy 19:19, on those who bear false witness. The consequence for the falsely accused and convicted rapist is, after all, prison rape.

Anonymous said...

Goodness. I think I missed both of those events in 1983.

That was probably a good thing.

Mr. D said...

Goodness. I think I missed both of those events in 1983.

That was probably a good thing.


Yeah, it was. But there's a neighbor of ours who would remember the second one especially well, unfortunately.