Saturday, October 06, 2012

Benster and D Pick Your Games -- Irondale Lost and I'm Cranky Edition

Sorry, people -- I know that we're kinda late but I'm still cranky about last night. The mighty Irondale Knights lost their game at Spring Lake Park last night and I was there, freezing my butt off for the whole thing while the Geritol Fan was busy partying in South Minneapolis in a heated apartment with a college pal.

South Minneapolis is lovely this time of year. Better than Spring Lake Park High School when it's 40 degrees out.

So I found out. But that's okay, because I'm here now to bring the heat. And the HYYYYYYPPPPPPE! Watch me work!

Illinois Fighting Illini (+14) vs. Beloved Wisconsin Badgers. Well, the Badgers played well last week at Nebraska, but they ran out of gas. Illinois has been just, well, turrible, as Charles Barkley would say. They lost 52-24 to Louisiana Tech. And I believe they also lost to Spring Lake Park High School, but I haven't been able to confirm that. The question for the Badgers is this -- can they spring Montee Ball for a long one? It hasn't happened all season, but it's bound to happen. The Badgers are getting their act together and Illinois is not. Grateful Red 42, Orange Crush 31.

I checked the Google and have verified that the Illini did not lose to Spring Lake Park, although they were dispatched in a scrimmage game by Hoopeston/East Lynn High School, in Illinois, who are known as the Cornjerkers. And I think the Badgers are going to jerk around the Illini pretty good today. Badgers 35, Illini 7.

Miami Hurricanes (+14) vs. Notre Dame Golden Domers, in Chicago. The Gophers are on bye this week, so we turn our attention to NBC's favorite team, Notre Dame. We don't talk about the Irish much around here, because (a) they haven't been relevant since before I was born, and (b) Geritol Fan hates them. But here's a chance to mention them. The Irish are getting better again; they are undefeated and dispatched every Big Ten team they faced, including playing very well against Michigan. So are the Irish for real? I say yes. Irish 34, Hurricanes 17.

It's true -- I don't like Notre Dame much. Catholic kids, especially those who attend Catholic high schools in the Midwest, get a steady stream of Notre Dame propaganda throughout their school years and kids either decide to buy the hype or not. I didn't. But enough psychodrama. Will the Irish win today? Yes, because Miami isn't very good these days. But it will get tougher for the Irish later on. ND 28, Miami 10.

Tennessee Tuxedos (+5 1/2) vs. Minnesota Vikings. So while we were worrying about other things, the Vikings somehow got to 3-1. They went to Detroit last week and ran the Lions out of their own building. Couple that with an impressive victory over the 49ers the week before, and all of a sudden the Vikings are relevant and media darlings, to boot. So should you believe the HYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPE? I say no. Tuxedos 24, Vikings 21.

For those who don't remember who Tennessee Tuxedo is, I'll present the following tutorial:


Nothing quite like a penguin who sounds like Maxwell Smart. Would you believe the Titans can win in Minnesota? Maybe, but I think Matt Hasselbeck won't enjoy the company of Jared Allen very much. Vikes will come back to earth eventually, but not this week. Vikings 24, Titans 16.

Glorious Green Bay Packers (-7) vs. Indianapolis Lucks. Well, last week was a very scary game. How scary? Very scary. But the Packers survived the efforts of Drew Brees and Jeff Triplette to win a game they had to have. And now they get Indy and their first look at Andrew Luck, Wonder Quarterback! I wouldn't sleep on the Colts because they're a sneaky team, but the Packers should have no trouble this week. Packers 77, Colts 0.

No, young fella -- the Packers are playing the Colts, not the Illini. I think the Packers will win, but Indy will make them sweat a little. Packers 24, Colts 14.

Sorry that this was a little brief, but my North Suburban Conference duties are very important. We may go early next week because I'll be off to the wilds of Fred C. Andersen Scout Camp for the Northwest District Camporee. And when I go camping, I bring two things -- a canteen and the HYYYYYPPPPPPPE! Ben out!


4 comments:

CousinDan 54915 said...

Cornjerkers--sounds like the Obama campaign folks that I saw in Lincoln Nebraska last weekend.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

What? The Bears get no lovin'? No Cutler jokes for Gino? I say they win and cover.

Mr. D said...

We ran out of time, WBP.

Gino said...

it's a sad day when there is no time to tweak Gino...

i'm calling The Bears, by +7.

then again, i wasnt expecting the showing of last week either.
my prediction is hopeful, not logical.