Thursday, January 02, 2014

Get off my lawn, while you're at it

So we watched the "ball drop" coverage on television for the new year; since the local ABC affiliate here in the Twin Cities offers it on tape delay, I got to see both NBC and ABC's versions. On NBC, you had something named Carson Daly trading vagina jokes with some B-list (C-list, maybe?) celebrities I'd never seen before, while on ABC you had Ryan Seacrest mewling about with Miley Cyrus, Jenny McCarthy and that fresh face of 1977, Deborah Harry, neatly encapsulating the steady debasement of feminine glamor standards over the last 35+ years.

Once I had love, and it was a blast
Sure turned out, to be a pain in the ass

From time to time I wonder if I should pay more attention to the blandishments of popular culture. Watching those shows reminded me why I don't.

No comments: