Saturday, November 22, 2014

Benster and D Pick Your Games -- Birthday Brilliance Edition

So old dude, how do you feel about yesterday being my 19th birthday?

I'm delighted about it. One of the most important days of my life. Even when you were just a tiny baby, I could sense the hype building.

Yes, it's true. I was born to deliver the HYYYYYYYYYPPPPE!

You were little, though. Here's what you looked like that day:


Pumping up the crowd, even then
That picture proves the point, though -- see that fist? I was already leading the crowd! Just like I'm a leader in picking games!

You've done well enough at it.

Time to go from strength to strength. Watch me work!

Minnesota Golden Gophers (+10.5) vs. Nebraska Speed Bumps. You know, Geritol Fan, I think I'm probably giving Nebraska too much credit by calling them a speed bump. A speed bump would have had better success than the Nebraska defense did last week. You remember this?


So that's the Nebraska defense? And they're favored by 10 1/2? Not quite. The Gophers gave Ohio State a scare last week and are a sneaky team that is better than the talking heads at ESecPN would let you know. Nebraska started well last week lest we forget it, but ended up getting thumped quite badly. As much as the "Desperate Team at Home" theory would say that Nebraska has got this, but remember that Minnesota has a running quarterback in Liedner and David Cobb, who is a very underrated back. Minnesota 31, Nebraska 17.

I think Nebraska will play better than that. They have to, actually. As for the Gophers, there's little question that they are improving, but this is going to be a tough test. Nebraska has a lot of pride and they don't lose very often in Lincoln, still one of the most intimidating addresses in college football. If Nebraska gets off to an early lead, the Gophers could have trouble. If the Gophers can control the clock, they win. Nebraska 28, Gophers 24.

Beloved Wisconsin Badgers (-10) vs. Iowa Hawkeyes. Old dude, can I admit something? Iowa confuses me. They are really an inconsistent team. They crush Northwestern, then get crushed by the Gophers. I'm not sure what to make of them, to be quite honest. So how will they do against Mr. Gordon and the Badgers? I talked to a friend who is a Hawkeye fan and he tells me that Iowa has been bad and he thinks that Ferentz could be on his way out. Iowa City is going to be a factor because the last two times Wisconsin was there they had to fight to get tough wins. The running game and defense should keep it close, and Iowa has a worse quarterback in Jake Rudock than Wisconsin has in Stave. Wisconsin 31, Iowa 30.

I don't think this will be easy -- trips to Iowa City rarely are. Having said that, the Badgers are looking pretty good right now. The last four games the Badgers have been outscoring their opponents  by an average score of 45-12. Melvin Gordon is just a monster and they have one of the best defenses in the country. I tend to think the trend continues. Iowa will make it interesting for a while, but the Badgers roll. Badgers 38, Iowa 20.

Glorious Green Bay Packers (-9.5) vs. Minnesota Vikings. Speaking of rolling, Aaron Rodgers is doing some pretty amazing stuff. You don't expect an NFL team to score over 50 points two games in a row, but that's what the Packers have done. The first meeting was a Packer rout in Green Bay, but the Vikings play the Packers tough at home. Ben Tate signed with the Vikings this week and should be helpful until noted Packer killer Adrian "All Day" Peterson returns next year. This game should be close as normal, but as much as I love the Vikings and wish them well, this is not that week. Green Bay 45, Minnesota 23.

I do think the Vikings are headed in the right direction and I'm glad that they've finally figured out that Adrian Peterson isn't going to be walking through the door. You can't really plan with all the uncertainty. It hasn't helped. Teddy Bridgewater does some things well, but I do wonder about his arm strength, especially on what looks to be a rainy and windy day in Minneapolis. Aaron Rodgers can handle the weather. I also expect that the Packers fans will be numerous at the stadium, taking away some of the home field advantage. You have to like the Packers in this one. Packers 38, Vikings 17.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+6) vs. Bear Down Chicago da Bearz. So Lovie Smith and Josh McCown are coming back to town to face their old friends? Jay Cutler is ready for the event:


Did you know that the surgeon general has determined that watching Jay Cutler play football is hazardous to your health? Tampa Bay has looked as ugly as those old jerseys, which caused an incident with Green Bay down there a few years ago. I said in this feature that the Bears made some choices that were questionable, and if literature is any guide it is time to pay the Piper for all the success they once had. Old Bear Leader 31, Fire Everyone 11.

Jay is smokin', all right. Tampa is a pretty bad team, though, and I think the Bears hit bottom in Green Bay a few weeks back. Marc Trestman is fighting for his job right now and while Cutler appears to be nonchalant about his career, I think he does care. And remember, Tampa is a bad football team. Bears 28, Bucs 17.

New York J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets (NL) vs. Buffalo Bills, in Detroit. Ordinarily this game would rank quite high on my I Couldn't Care Less Meter, but did you see what that storm in Buffalo looked like? Look at this:


It's incredible. They can't get Ralph Wilson Stadium shoveled out in time for the game, so they have to move the game to Detroit. I hope everyone in the Buffalo area is doing ok and I pray for their safety. I said at the start of the year that the AFC East was up for grabs and that these teams could make some noise. I was horribly wrong about the Patriots. Both teams are struggling and the neutral field won't give any home advantage, so in that case: Buffalo 17, New York 17.

It's pretty incredible. Every time I see those pictures, I realize that I have no complaints about the early winter we're having up here. Buffalo is a mediocre team and the Jets are a bad team, so I 'll pick the mediocre team. Bills 24, Jets 17.

That's all I have, old dude! I'll see you on Monday as I plan for my triumphant return to the Twin Cities. Ben out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tampa bay's loses seem to come near the end of the fourth quarter, losing many games they were leading in. I wouldn't underestimate them... And I think two losses in OT.

the bears, OTOH, just seem to suck at the stuff they shouldn't be.

Gino