Thursday, October 29, 2020

Benster and D Pick Your Games--#FreeMertz Edition

 Old dude, I have an axe to grind about certain things. Just when I was getting ready to see the Badgers follow up the beatdown they had, some people deserve some ridicule. 

Just some?

Oh, I have lots. Stay tuned.

I sense Very Special Comments ahead.

You have no idea.

Oh, I have an idea.

When I find myself agreeing with SEC shills, you know things are messed up. I am feeling the HYYYYYYPPPPEEE, and it is time to watch me work.

Minnesota Golden Elite Rowers of the Boat (-19.5) vs. Maryland Terps So it turns out that PJ Fleck has some things to figure out, and those things might not require his brand enhancing. The Gophers looked overmatched against Michigan at home, and are looking to wash that taste out of their mouth. I'll be honest, I didn't watch the Terps game, but getting beat down that badly by the Purple Nerds is hilarious. It is a long journey on a short week, but the Rowers of the Boat should continue to be Elite, and the Gopher fanbase can keep drinking the Kool Aid and keep buying the snake oil. Of course, if they somehow lose, then the honeymoon is over. Terps 24, Row Row Row Your Boat Elitely 0.

I don't quite follow you, but that's okay. Maryland is awful, so this is get well time for the Flecktones. 

Flecktones?


Nothing quite like a jazz banjo player. Gophers 31, Terrapins 20.

Minnesota Vikings (+6.5) vs. Glorious Green Bay Packers The Vikings have struggled this year, and are dangerously running low on defensive backs. That is going to be a huge problem when they face off against a Packers team that lit up their secondary in Week 1. Look, the Packers looked good against Houston last week. The problem is that the injury report is getting long. The Packers should still win this game, but the Vikings will make things very difficult. Look for the Packers to try and torch the Viking secondary. If the Vikings lose this game, pray for Cory Cove and Ron Johnson. Packers 45, Vikings 10.

The weather should be nicer at Lambeau and the Vikings may need to bring back Wasswa Serwanga or Ed Sharockman. This could be ugly. Packers 43, Vikings 24.

And now, time for a Very Special Comment. Barry Alvarez may be a living legend, but why not try and find a way to play? Nebraska fans are right to be angry at the Badgers and they should be allowed to play a non conference game. It's become obvious that Kevin "Karen" Warren and the Big Ten "leadership" really didn't want to play, and the only reason they are is because they know that nobody else caved. What they should have done was to do what the SEC did. Look, I hate that conference. Those schools cheat, and the constant love affair that ESPN has with that conference makes me shake my head in disgust. But you know what, they actually had a plan. They built in multiple bye weeks to provide a cushion in case of positive tests that they knew would happen. When Florida had their outbreak, Greg Sankey didn't panic and adjusted. When the Marlins and Cardinals had their outbreaks, Rob Manfred adjusted the plan. I'd also like to note that as a baseball fan, Rob Manfred doesn't seemingly even like baseball when compared to Bud Selig. When I am agreeing with Paul Finebaum and Clay Travis on the Big Ten, you know that's how angry I am. 

I've been a Big Ten and Wisconsin fan for 20 years. I've planned years of fall Saturday afternoons and evenings around watching Wisconsin take on all comers from the league. In this blog space, I have defended the Big Ten and fought for fairness against the SEC lovers who don't understand or respect the conference and the glorious shared history that these teams have. Karen Warren's leadership would make any Boy Scout youth leader cringe. A 21 day wait to return to competition after 2 positive tests? It's disrespectful to the players, coaches, and most importantly the fans of the Big Ten to admit that they are only doing this because other conferences refused to quit. Karen Warren needs to resign now. He had plenty of time in the spring to come up with a plan. I get that the college presidents can't worry about football all the time. But they hired Warren to take care of the athletic side of the league. 

What I would have done is simple. I would have started in late September, and built in 3 bye weeks for each team. I would have released a statement saying that positive tests were going to happen, but that the conference is committed to playing and that this plan would have worked. By the way, that took me all of 10 minutes to come up with. Fire Karen Warren and all of the league presidents. Those presidents are screwing over college kids this year. And Free Mertz. Ben out!

No comments: