Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Justice Barrett

 Amy Coney Barrett is now a Supreme Court justice. This is good news for many reasons. A few observations:

Justice Barrett

  • I don't know what happens with Roe v. Wade going forward, and neither does anyone else. A challenge may never reach the Supreme Court. In fact, that would be my guess.
  • The two cases that matter more to me are Citizens United and Heller. Both of these are now safe for a generation or more.
  • Liberals hate the result, because they have plans and they need the Supreme Court to make things happen for them. Even if John Roberts lets his freak flag fly and sides with the liberals going forward, he's going to be on the wrong side of 5-4 majorities in many instances. 
  • Will the Dems pack the Court? They would like to, but I don't think Joe Biden is going to win the election, so it's moot at this point. But that's a subject for another post.
  • Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer are morons. If the Dems are upset at what Cocaine Mitch McConnell has wrought, they need to remember why the judicial filibuster is gone
  • My guess? Barrett will be one of the all-time greats on the Court. She is brilliant and principled. Her intellect is second to none. It's no surprise the Dems hate her, because she is the antidote to the dim cynicism of the modern Left.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that Biden will not win the election, but I do believe enough shenanigans can occur in an attempt to award it to him. Either way, expect lots of violence in the days after.


Gino

Unknown said...

If Trump reelects, he will likely replace 82yr old Breuer. I expect Thomas to retire so Trump can replace him too. Rumor I've heard is sotomayor is in I'll health, despite her younger age.



Gino

Ben said...

The Trump years have been extremely exciting and productive. What's better is that Democratic Corruption in various institutions has come out into the open, making it ripe for reform. I don't know how he's going to do it, but I'd love to see the media reformed. A national press that didn't feel free to invent and cover up truths according to what helps Democrats would be an enormous leap forward.

P.S. Don't forget to have an election prediction post!

Mr. D said...

P.S. Don't forget to have an election prediction post!

On the agenda.

3john2 said...

I try not to get my hopes or expectations too high with any new Justice, despite the labels given to them going in. Roberts has turned out to be just what you'd expect from a feckless W., but I actually found some respect for Kennedy over the years. I liked Sotomayor's take on police seizures, but not much else. As for Kagan - has there actually even been a sighting of Kagan since she joined? Clearly Barrett was taking notes, though, on both Sotomayor and Kagan's responses in their "hearings".

One thing I am sure of, however, is that I'm glad Cass Sunstein isn't on the Court, and he perhaps would have been if RBG had retired instead of waiting for the first woman President to name her replacement.

Mr. D said...

One thing I am sure of, however, is that I'm glad Cass Sunstein isn't on the Court, and he perhaps would have been if RBG had retired instead of waiting for the first woman President to name her replacement.

No kidding. Still amazed (and relieved) Obama didn’t pick him instead of Kagan.