Saturday, October 03, 2020

Benster and D Pick Your Games---Things Fall Apart Edition

 Old dude, the good news is that our picks have not been delayed. And thank the Lord that the Vikings have been safe so far. 

So far. The Titans are in a bad way, but it doesn't appear they gave the Vikings any of the 'Rona, so that's something. I have to admit their team charter was a bit suspicious:


Well, that's a little morbid, Old Dude!

You want worse? I can do worse.

While I don't doubt that, I'd rather you not. Back on the field, the Vikings are playing for their lives, whereas the Packers are going to have to play the Falcons to continue their hot start. I am feeling the HYYYYPPPPEEEE! over the start the Packers have had. Boy, it's been fun.

It's going to get worse for someone. Three of the teams you're featuring are winless. Some might also be clueless.

Right. But enough goofing around. It is time to pick some games. Watch me work.

Minnesota Vikings (+3.5) vs. Houston Texans The Vikings gave it their best shot last weekend against the Titans, but things fell apart late and now the temperature on the team has been turned all the way up. Mike Zimmer might be playing for his job, and not having their practice facility opened really hurts. The good news is that they are playing the Texans, a team that has a really bad leader at the helm. Bill O'Brien may have done great work at Penn State post-sanctions, but he has been really questionable while coaching the Texans. He famously blew a 24 point lead in a quarter against the Chiefs, and somehow traded his best receiver for pennies on the dollar. Oh, and the Texans have no offensive line against a blitzing team. Look, the Vikings may be going in the wrong direction. But they will win this game. If they don't, pray for Corey Cove and Ron Johnson. Vikings 31, Bill O'Brien Is A Hack 0.

Cove and Johnson are well compensated, so I guess I wouldn't worry about them so much. As for the game, it really comes down to whether the Vikings can fix their offensive line. The Texans have a lot of defensive talent, but I'm not sure it adds up to a good defense. On the offensive side of the ball, getting Dalvin Cook going is absolutely essential. He's been decent, but you always wonder when then the next injury will hit. What do we say about desperate teams at home? Texans 31, Vikings 27.

Hotlanta Falcons (+7) vs. Glorious Green Bay Packers If you had told me at the start of the year that the Packers would be 3-0 and win in New Orleans without Davante Adams, I would have been a bit confused. The bad news for the Packers is that Aaron is going to be dangerously short on wideouts even if Adams goes. I'll be straight with you -- this game makes me nervous. Look, I know the Falcons have choked two games and Dan Quinn should have been fired after 28-3. There, I said it. But the thing is that the Falcons are desperate, and a lot more talented then people think. This game reminds me of the Packers/Eagles game from last year, and we know how that went. The Packers can win this game, but don't be surprised if the Falcons are playing for their jobs. This game has trap written all over it with a neon sign that you can't miss from the freeway, even on a dark night. Packers 28, Fire Dan Quinn 24.

Looks like this, I think:



What concerns me is the lack of receivers for the Packers. It's not clear if Davante Adams will be available and we are certain Allen Lazard is not available. So it's possible the #1 for the Packers will be Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who is not the most reliable guy on the team. Matt LaFleur and Aaron Rodgers seem to have a plan for most issues, though. I think the Packers keep winning, but it won't be easy. Packers 38, Falcons 30.

Thanks for reading, and may the President and First Lady get better. I'll see you next week if I don't get cancelled. Ben out.

3 comments:

Gino said...

i think that at 0-3 MN is in a hole too deep to climb out of.
GB, OTOH, seems to have their Offense performing well, even if Mr D has his doubts. Compare to the Bears, also 3-0, if you need comparison to what an Offense should not look like.

3john2 said...

The only person more overrated than Corey Cove might be Bill O'Brien.

And after Matt Patricia is fired, is there any GM at this point willing to hire a coach from the Belichik tree ever again?

Unknown said...

I had warned about hiring from the belichek tree when they hired Patricia. I predicted it would not end well.

But they did it anyway... And somebody else will do it again.

Gino