Friday, October 30, 2020

Ruminating on Tuesday

 A few disjointed thoughts. I have more, but we'll start here.

I haven’t voted for a Democrat for president in my lifetime. I have voted for Libertarians a few times and in 2016 I cast a write-in vote for my wife. Most of the times I’ve voted for a Republican, it’s been with limited enthusiasm. 

Chin music

I was Never Trump in 2016 because I thought he was a charlatan. When Trump defeated Hillary Clinton, who I knew was a charlatan, I was mostly amused. Still, at the point the election was decided, it was time to give Trump a chance, so I put the Never Trump stance away. In the four years since last Election Day, I have observed Trump’s presidency and have been amazed. He may sound like a carnival barker, but he’s actually kept his promises. And despite every obstacle and attack he’s faced, I strongly believe he will be re-elected on Tuesday. And yes, I plan to vote for Donald Trump. Donald Trump has all manner of uncorrected personality traits, but he’s far superior to his opponent.

The modern Democratic party is a hot mess, a septic tank gumbo of careerism, cronyism, corruption, and collusion. Its luminaries are uniformly appalling. Its standard-bearer is clearly demented – put him in a bathrobe and he’d be a modern-day version of Vincent “The Chin” Gigante, except without the artifice. Joe Biden was a plagiarizing buffoon in 1988 and he’s been on the slide ever since then, but the party apparat felt he was a better candidate than any of the others who were running against him. It's a stunning indictment of the Democratic Party.


4 comments:

3john2 said...

Before election day, 2016, I wrote that if Hillary wins, I'll cry, and if Trump wins, I'll laugh my ass off - and then cry. I ended up voting for Gary Johnson, even though I knew he was a doof, because 1) I knew he couldn't win, and 2) if there ever was an election to galvanize the need for a third party, that was it. In the hope that Johnson could get enough traction to garner a third party a place at the table in future elections. Yeah, yeah - I know: third party candidates like to think they're Ross Perot and they end up as Pat Paulsen. So sue me; it wasn't as if the "real" choices made any sense, either.

Turns out, I was surprised and impressed by Trump. Initially it was just the way he made the Left's collective (collectivist) heads explode, but as you started looking at what he did, and not what he said, you had to wonder if there was method in the madness. And for madness, you had to look no further than to see how badly the opposition misjudged the reasons for his ascent. They have made no attempt to appeal to the average Americans who voted for him - other than to try to shame them. All their rhetoric has been aimed at bolstering their own ranks of true believers, and the ones they think "belong" to them. Meanwhile the union members (not officers) and blacks are slipping away, and while some of the original Trump voters may have become cowed by the four years of non-stop assault and cattery, I'd imagine most of them have bowed their necks and kept their mouths shut, waiting for 2020. And there are those who didn't vote for him in '16 who have looked things over and decided there was something there after all. (A certain prominent blogger in Madison, I believe, is one of them.) Will it be enough? We will see.

jerrye92002 said...

I have to love the comment by a Hispanic UFC champion, heard on the radio the other day, and paraphrased: "When you have a coach that has won 3 consecutive Super Bowls, and even though you may not like the plays he calls, or the people he puts on the field, the language he uses or even what he tweets about it, you do NOT fire that coach and hire one who has been coaching for 47 years and never won a game."

Paul said...

Not quite seeing the comparison of DT to winning 3 consecutive Super Bowls. I would compare DT's reign as more like the Tampa Bay Bucs being crappy for many years and now Brady/Gronk (Biden/Harris) are coming to save the day.

Unknown said...

I was for Trump, for many reasons, spoken here in these comments at the time, or on my own blog.

I am proud to say that I am proud to be proud of my vote.

Welcome to the Trump Train, ya'll.