Thursday, April 24, 2008

Guilty Pleasures Part Fourteen - The Joys Of Self-Indulgent Jamming


You've got a guitar. You've taken the stage. The crowd adores you. And they want you to play that thing. What could be better?


It must be fun to be a rock star. I wouldn't know. My last public musical performance that wasn't drunken karaoke was a desultory performance of "The Entertainer" at the Jefferson Elementary School talent show in April of 1975. Oddy enough, I didn't win - as I recall, I lost to an zaftig tap dancer.


So for tonight's competition I decided to look to the ever-popular spectacle of extended jamming at a rock concert. And while self-indulgence might count as a venial sin in the eyes of the Church, the results can be pretty cool. Especially when you have performances like these.


First, from the late 1960s, it's the quintessential power trio, Cream, performing Spoonful, with Eric, Jack and Ginger all in fine form (I especially like Jack's stylin' fur hat).


Next, from 1970, at one of their legendary Fillmore East shows, it's the Allman Brothers, with Whipping Post.


Then, Lynyrd Skynrd answers the eternal question, "what song is it that you want to hear," with the ever-popular Freebird.


And last but not least, a little love for the Deadheads, with Jerry and the boys offering Franklin's Tower.


And the polls are open - exit polls are projecting no winner at this time.

9 comments:

Benster said...

no.4. try to make some beatles stuff. you know my vote.

Fearless Maria said...

CCCCCCOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEEE OOOOONNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh fine. 4. Gosh,Dad.MARIA.

Mr. D said...

So you weren't so fond of these, eh, Maria?

Mike said...

Given the choices, I gotta go with Whipping Post. I think the whole point of that song is self-indulgent guitar solos. Although, if "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin was a nominee, I might have voted differently. You want to talk self-indulgent? Give Jimmy Page a violin bow.

Anonymous said...

No Nuge?

Okay, Whipping Post, then.

And was that Jefferson Elementary School in South St. Paul?

Right Hook said...

FREE BIRD!

Mr. D said...

Hey NW,

I already used Nuge, although I suppose I could use him again. There must be a way to fit in Wango Tango....

Nope, Jefferson Elementary School in Appleton, Wisconsin, although I'm guessing that's a distinction without a difference.

Anonymous said...

The distinct difference is that our church uses the former Jefferson Elementary in SSP (we own the building).

Mr. D said...

That is a distinct difference, NW.