Tuesday, April 26, 2011

This is the 2,500th post on Mr. Dilettante's Neighborhood

You're probably thinking, does this guy ever shut up? It would appear not.

We've been at this for about 5 1/2 years now, which works out to more than one post a day. I started this thing out as a lark, which is why I chose to include the word "dilettante" in the title. It's turned out to be something more than a lark -- 2,500 of anything is not a lark.

I still think there's a measure of dilettantism involved in our enterprise -- although I do know a little about music and have lotsa opinions on politics, I certainly claim no great depth of knowledge or insight. I've learned many things from this experience and have had some remarkably good blogging role models along the way. Like, to use just a couple of examples, this guy and this guy. And yes, this guy, too. Better still, I've made some great friends through blogging and have received great stores of wisdom, insight and encouragement from all of you. The joy in blogging is not throwing down words on a blank screen -- it's hoping that those who find this feature might get a little wisdom, insight or encouragement, too.

Night Writer posted a quote from "To Kill a Mockingbird" on a comment here earlier today:

"There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible."



- Atticus Finch

We can't keep the ugliness away, but if our little enterprise can give you even a brief respite from it, we'll have accomplished something. Thank you for your support and encouragement. All of us who write here will do our best to make sure we deserve it.

7 comments:

Gino said...

me? a blogging role model?
yer too kind, unless you mean as being an inspiration as in 'i can top that guy. his writing sucks'.

Mr. D said...

Actually, what I admire about your blog is what I admire about you, Gino -- you don't pull punches and you value direct expression. It's easy for me to squirt out a big puddle of words, like a squid shoots out ink when a predator approaches. Getting to the point is the point.

Night Writer said...

Perhaps you should change the name of your blog to Mr. Diligence's Neighborhood.

Congrats on this achievement and the consistent quality and depth of insight. No tu quoque arguments here (I had to go look that one up!)

I have a similar number in my electronic satchel, a majority of which I never bothered to categorize at the time I wrote them. Now I'm poring through the archives cleaning this up and pulling out the ones to go into the book(s) I'm writing and I can't believe how much writing has been accumulated - or how many friends. And I treasure them all.

First Ringer said...

Congrats on the milestone, D!

First Ringer said...

Congrats on the milestone, D!

Bike Bubba said...

Congrats--I suggest you celebrate when you can with a pizza from St. Gino's. I mean Gino's East. :^)

CousinDan 54915 said...

One of the best sites on the whirled wide web.