- If I were David Prosser, the first thing I'd do is have whatever legal team I've assembled look hard, real hard, at the college towns, places like Eau Claire, Menomonie, Oshkosh, etc. I'd look at same day registrations for college students and then compare the results to absentee ballots. I suspect you could find more 204 votes right there.
- One thing that makes Wisconsin different than Minnesota in the Franken/Coleman election is this: the state attorney general is J. B. Van Hollen, a Republican. As it happens, Joanne Kloppenburg works for Van Hollen. Van Hollen hasn't been doing much in the past 6-7 weeks, but he can do rather a lot now.
- I'd also prosecute the crap out of anyone who is implicated in vote fraud. The only way to stop it is to make the price you pay for getting caught too onerous. Kloppenburg, as an officer of the court, should ostensibly be committed to making sure that election fraud does not take place. While the recount is ongoing, everyone involved should be asking Kloppenburg, every single day, about her commitment to free and fair elections.
- Bottom line is this -- it's going to be very hard to overtun the results of the election, but Republicans can and should change the meaning of the election. It is absolutely crucial to make sure that everyone knows how Joanne Kloppenburg got 204 more votes than David Prosser. If there is any taint to the result, that must be known and understood. Would that make Kloppenburg's victory a poisoned chalice? Perhaps. Is it cynical to suggest such thing. Mais oui. But frankly, the Marquess of Queensbury stuff has to stop some time and this is a good time for it to stop
- And on that note, one last thing: isn't it long since past the time to throw Katherine Windels, the woman charged with making death threats against Republican state senators, in jail? It's time to go on offense and make the local politicos in Madison who are playing these games start defending their own decisions.
Thursday, April 07, 2011
A few modest proposals in re the Wisconsin Supreme Court Race
Just thinkin' out loud here: