- Rick Perry's campaign is, to borrow a phrase from P. J. O'Rourke, dead but too dumb to lie down.
- Rick Santorum needs to win South Carolina to have any chance. Don't see that happening.
- Jon Huntsman said that "in New Hampshire, they pick presidents." They didn't pick Huntsman. Buh-bye.
- Newt Gingrich has proven conclusively that he hasn't learned a damned thing since his days as Speaker. He, or rather his "Super PAC," has a lot of money to spend on South Carolina. While you can buy a lot of attack ads with 5 mil, it's not going to be enough.
- Ron Paul likely will be able to contest Romney all the way to the convention. And he should.
- If you want two other smart takes on the state of play, check out our friend First Ringer over at Shot in the Dark and James "Editorial We" Taranto at the WSJ. I highly recommend both.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
State of Play, Briefly
Romney wins New Hampshire easily. What does it mean? A few guesses: