Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day


The image I've posted is of an American cemetery in France. These graves are for soldiers killed in World War I. There are nearly 15,000 graves at the site. My grandfather fought in World War I and was able to survive, return home and raise a family. He was one of the lucky ones.


We remember those who gave their all on this day precisely because of the enormity of the sacrifice they made. Every one of these crosses represents a human life that was cut short, a dream unrealized. We owe these men our gratitude in ways that we cannot adequately express.

1 comment:

CousinDan54915 said...

I just attended the Memorial Day Parade in Appleton WI. My son marched and plays trumpet in the Appleton East Patriot Band.

To see the veterans, especially those from WW II riding in the parade made a huge impression on me. It made me wonder why I waited 15 years to attend my first.

God bless America and our vets and their families.