Friday, October 07, 2011

Have You Got Yourself an Occupation?

So, does anyone really understand what the hell the "Occupy Wall Street" people really want? You get conflicting reports, but the overall message is something like "Anarchists for Big Government Solutions" or somesuch. The ever-popular cocktail of patchouli and pique has been on offer in Madison for most of the year now and apparently now it's time to take it national. Or something.

But really, other than pestering people, what does any of this really accomplish? I don't suspect that anyone on Wall Street is going to change what they do, which is to make money for their clients. And as a liberal arts guy, I certainly understand that employers don't always make the connection when you attempt to explain the value of your experiences as a Comparative Lit major and why it would make you a logical choice for a management trainee position. It took me 20 years to finally get the sort of job I expected to get when I left college. In the meantime, I did a lot of things that I didn't necessarily enjoy, but I learned skills that helped me become a credible candidate later on.

The world is tough right now, but if the folks who are occupying Wall Street really want a better life, they'll not get it from being an annoyance. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whinaThese organized freaks are brought to you by the fringe agents of the Obama administration and are solely the first act in their Class Distinction/Class Warfare effort to win the election. I have little or no doubt that Soros and his various shadow agencies are behind this.