Sunday, January 13, 2013

Before I Forget

Can we all agree that Michael Bloomberg is one of the most odious people in public life? His latest pronouncement might be his worst yet:
“The city hospitals we control, so … we’re going to do it and we’re urging all of the other hospitals to do it, voluntary guidelines. Somebody said, oh, somebody wrote, ‘Oh then maybe there won’t be enough painkillers for the poor who use the emergency rooms as their primary care doctor,’” the mayor said on his weekly radio show with John Gambling. “Number one, there’s no evidence of that. Number two, supposing it is really true, so you didn’t get enough painkillers and you did have to suffer a little bit. The other side of the coin is people are dying and there’s nothing perfect … There’s nothing that you can possibly do where somebody isn’t going to suffer, and it’s always the same group [claiming], ‘Everybody is heartless.’ Come on, this is a very big problem.”
Bloomberg is talking about his dictate concerning limiting the use of painkillers in the emergency rooms of hospitals in New York City. As a rule, I don't wish ill on anyone, but it would be interesting to see how Bloomberg would react if he were on the business end of this particular dictate.

4 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

OK, so not only is the guy with 24/7 armed guards an expert on why the rest of us don't need a gun, he's also more of an expert about medicine than the doctors.

I'm waiting for the first guy coming in with a blocked bile duct to sue when he doesn't get effective painkillers. I've been there, and if I was told the MAYOR was the reason I didn't get something to dull the pain, yes, there would have been legal action.

Anonymous said...

Seems to me a not unreasonable proposition that those using the emergency room not receive drugs they can abuse based on nothing more medically necessary than an invisible complaint. Seems to me the problem is those people using the emergency room as their normal doctor, the last great "compassion dictate" from the federal government. Most of these folks are eligible for Medicaid but refuse to go get it, and some could afford private insurance or to pay /something/ towards their own care but choose not to.

Fortunately, Obamacare will fix all of that. Riiiiiight.

J. Ewing

Gino said...

you can have my vicodin when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Mr. D said...

JE, I had one experience with an emergency room where I had severe pain from a headache; I'd been to the clinic and they sent me down to the hospital. I got a shot of Toradol and no prescription.

Yes, there are people who abuse prescription drugs. But a hell of a lot of people who are in the ER are there for legitimate reasons and Bloomberg's plan would mean that a lot of them would have to suffer. He can screw himself.

BTW, turned out that the headaches were caused by a pituitary tumor, which I had removed six years ago.