Friday, January 11, 2013

Home Truth

Mitch Berg, discussing some of the (ahem) machinations within the Minnesota GOP in the past year or so, says what needs to be said:

And in the GOP right now there are a slew of factions:  the Ronulans, the Tea Partiers, Fiscalcons, Socialcons, “Moderates”, pragmatists, Security Republicans and a few others.  And none of them – not even the Ron Paul faction – are strong enough to both change the party and win elections.  None.

One way or another, this party is going to be run – and this state is going to be saved – by a coalition of people from any and all of those factions who are focused on getting stuff done.

Or, y’know, not; it’s entirely possible the GOP will be taken over by people who argue to the death over the inconsequential as the state follows Greece and Portugal and California straight to hell.

Emphasis in original, both in typeface and insight.

3 comments:

3john2 said...

Or, y’know, not; it’s entirely possible the GOP will be taken over by people who argue to the death over the inconsequential as the state follows Greece and Portugal and California straight to hell.

I do not care: I’ll give thrice so much land To any well-deserving (special interest group); But in the way of bargain, mark you me, I’ll cavil on the ninth part of a hair.

Night Writer said...

By my quick count, I could identify with at least five of the groups listed above. Too bad the thought of locking myself into a school gymnasium on a perfectly good Saturday to wage civil guerilla warfare makes me break out in hives, especially since my deepest suspicion is that whatever the result it wll all be tossed out in the name of "electability" (i.e., "looking like the other guys").

Mr. D said...

I could identify with at least five of the groups listed above.

I could too, NW. And that's the problem; we find ourselves making distinctions that would befuddle Bertrand Russell. And unless the BPOU has a good (read: sensible) parliamentarian, the nebbishes end up controlling the event and driving a lot of good people away.