Sunday, April 06, 2008

Guilty Pleasures Part Eleven - Nin Edition


I remember thinking it a bit weird at the time. There was a time in the 1980s and on into the 90s, where it seemed like there was always a song on the radio called "Spy In the House of Love." But what was funny is that each of the songs were different.


I didn't know about Anais Nin until later on -- good Catholic boys from Wisconsin are usually a slow on the uptake when it comes to erotica. I think I still have a copy of Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer in the house someplace, but it really wasn't my thing. But let's be honest here; rock and roll is quite often about Topic A. And so the idea of a title like "Spy In the House of Love," which is cribbed from one of Nin's works, makes a good title. And, in a few cases, some good songs.


So it's time for a little cloak and dagger d'amour. Here are four different songs with the same basic title. I will say that I have a very strong preference for one of these over the others, but I won't tip my hand.


First is this one, from a very good 80s pop band that never got much traction:


"Spy In the House of Love," by the dB's, from their mostly forgotten 1984 album "Like This."



Next, with the dapper Sweet Pea Atkinson at the helm, we have:


"Spy In the House of Love," by Was (Not Was)


Then, we have something completely different:


"Spy in the House of Love" by Animal Logic, featuring Deborah Holland on vocals and ex-Policeman Stewart Copeland on the drum kit.


Finally, a few years later, we go back to dapper:


"Spy In the House of Love," by Steve Winwood, with his patented sleek pop gloss and high-end production values.


The polls are open - vote early and often.

8 comments:

Gino said...

ugh.
can i pass?

Mr. D said...

No Gino, you can't. You are compelled to vote.

Gino said...

eeny,meeny,miney,moe....

db.

Mr. D said...

Good job, Gino. You made the right choice, I think. Oops, think I tipped my hand after all.

Fearless Maria said...

Number 3. Well, I guess I just wanted to vote for that. There's a girl singing, and it's not that bad of a video. No offense, other videos!

Maria

Anonymous said...

Mark,
not sure if you would count this, but The Doors had a song called "The Spy" on Morrison Hotel that was inspired by this novel.

Rich

Mr. D said...

Sure, why not, Rich? No one likes any of the songs I posted anyway.

Mike said...

I don't know about that...the DBs one is pretty good.